Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Didja ever measure the ammonia? Depending on the rock's makeup, you may have a lot or little to no ammonia. I see you're adding food, but ya gotta know where you are on the ammonia to guage what you're doing.

Also, since decay and ammonia is slower to occur in colder temps, I'd consider keeping the temp nearer to the 70s, even the higher 70s. 59 to 75 degrees? Need a thermometer too, but I would get way above 59.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
thermometer is in the mail.. as well as the marine test kit. I dont see how ammonia would be tied into the white fog that covers the tank when i touch the filter media.. it looks like salt thats not mixing with the rest of the water.. just imo.. but i dont know about salt tanks... so

Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you likely stired up the dust and stuff on the cartridge... put some filter floss infront of or behind you cartridge if possible and it will clear up

-Brad
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
Do you have a refractor or a hydrometer? Its a must have. That way you will always know if you have too much salt.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i really dont think it can be too much salt... if your water cant obsorb any more salt.. you got bigger problems than cloudy water

-Brad
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
could it be a problem since i had the filters in and on the entire time ive had the tank up?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the chemical part of the filter is likely still good its just the floss on the front thats likely loaded with dust particles... for me i use filter floss.. cheap and easier than cartridges... i let the water completely clear.. then very carefully remove the old floss and put new stuff in... let it clear again and do the same. i repeated untill it no longer clouded when i moved the floss. otherwise your just going to have the same trouble over and over

-Brad
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #18

i figured that would be the case =(

Tags
29 gallon, cycling, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com