Cycling a 125 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I took some live sand and live rocks and tossed it in the tank would that be enough to cycle this big of a tank or would I have to toss some shrimp or ammonia in it?? And about how long does anyone think it would take to cycle? I cycled my 30 gallon with a cycled filter from an established tank and live rock from it in a week.Dont wanna screw this up I want to put some expensive fish in it....

You need to give the bacteria some substrate for them to multiply. Any decaying organic matter should be fine like shrimp or fish food. Believe it or not, ive had some friends cycle their tanks with live rock and urine lol. You have a large tank so I would just give it some time.

Also I personally feel that live sand is a joke because it has so substrate or food source that the colonies need to thrive. They grow exponentially when a food source is present, but stagnation of growth and death eventually follow if nothing is provided.

Back
Top Bottom