Cycling a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup you can. Have you cycled it already and just want to check where you are at? If so, how did you cycle it and how long did it take?

Yup you can. Have you cycled it already and just want to check where you are at? If so, how did you cycle it and how long did it take?

Hey well I think I'm in the process of cycling.. Well I dose my tank wit like 2.0 ppm of ammonia and two days later (today) the level dropped to practically 0.. And the nitrite level was at .25.. And nitrates is at almost 80ppm .. I've had my tank up and running for about 3 weeks.. I have almost 30 lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of live sand..

Sounds like your nearly there! Just wait for those nitrites to drop and you should be good to go. Just remember to do a big water change to get the nitrates down (after the drop in nitrites) then stock slowly ;)

Sounds like your nearly there! Just wait for those nitrites to drop and you should be good to go. Just remember to do a big water change to get the nitrates down (after the drop in nitrites) then stock slowly ;)

Awesome thanks!!

Big water change, retest and maybe start stocking......slowly.

I don't think you have to but to 100% confirm your cycle you can dose and then recheck, there should be no nitrates or ammonia.

I don't think you have to but to 100% confirm your cycle you can dose and then recheck, there should be no nitrates or ammonia.

To be sure dose ammonia .
Within 24 hours the ammonia should read 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
But you will have high nitrates .
Do a couple 50% water changes and you're good to go .

I cycled mine with shrimp .
When it was done I dropped another raw shrimp in and left it .
Tested fur the next couple of days and still 0 ppm
The shrimp got eaten by bristle worms after about a week .

Back
Top Bottom