Cycling done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey

So I set up my 26g bow front almost 3 weeks ago. About 15 lbs of live rock with aquaclear 70.

Initial readings first 2 1/2 weeks were all 0. 3 days ago nitrates were at about 20ppm, so I threw in pure ammonia to raise levels to about 1ppm. Today I'm back to 0. Nitrates at about 20ppm again. Nitrites 0. Any chance the tank is ready for fish? I did this on a fishless cycle, to be humane :). I would let it sit one more week, just want to be certain.

Bueller? Lol

Also just another note, I noticed yesterday one of my aqua cultured lr has about 50% die off which is now floating around the sand. Should I leave it? That should help continue the cycle right? My bigger Fiji rock is going strong, no die off.

So you used a shrimp? Maybe I read this wrong, but you said you had zeros for everything and suddenly got nitrates? You should be getting ammonia and nitrites initially, which will usually drop to zero around a month in and your nitrates will climb at the end. The zero, zero and 20 sounds like the end of a cycle, but not if the other two never went up.

Back
Top Bottom