Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So, I had my water tested over the weekend and they said my water was good to go. So, I pick up a few damsels to start out with. Two were dead by the next morning. The other one was doing great...eating, swimming around etc...now he has Ich. Seriously? I can't catch a break...going to start treatment on him tonight. There is nothing else in the tank, so I guess I will treat him, hope I can cure it and my tank doesn't get harmed too much.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can't treat the fish in your tank. It will kill all your bacteria!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't treat with any medications or Hypo in your tank.....

Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you acclimate your fish? Other two either died by poor acclimation or your water still has ammonia or high nitrite levels.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #14

Yeah..getting that from everything I am reading. I am going to set up a q-tank tonight. I am just so dang frustrated. Right now, I am trying to find a cheap-o tank to setup a q-tank with. I have my old hotb filter so I can use that. I bought a new bio-wheel so, that is what is currently running on the main tank. Will it be ok to just set up the q-tank with my current water and put him in there? I swear I am not stupid about this..I am just frustrated. I had a beautiful SW tank years ago, but this time it's seems much more difficult.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you can use the water from the DT, but you still have to keep tabs on the water parameters in case you get an amonia spike.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not add anything to the DT as it will have to sit emtpy to kill the ich you brought in with the Damsels. At least 6-8 weeks now.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #17

Fabulous. I guess that is what I get for being naive.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are you treating the damsel? Can you return it to the LFS? It was their mistake as much as it was your's.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #19

I haven't yet. Noticed it this morning. I will be taking him out of the dt tonight..hopefully by having a qt tank set up for him. I am sure if I take him back to the LFS they will just let him die. I think he has better chance with me, if you would believe that. I have been reading about the hypo salinity. Best way to go? I assume it will be fairly easy to bring the salinity down with a new qt tank. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would check to make sure you don't still have either ammonia or nitrites in your tank. It sounds a lot like the LFS said your water was good to go when it was not. Looking at the time frame on your posts i really think you were not finished cycling. I agree with thincat. I would take the damsels back to your LFS since they gave you such bad information.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com