Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was able to round up a tank to use for quarantine. I am picking it up after work. Now, do I need to cycle this tank as well, or will I be ok with a filter, water from my dt, and a heater?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, to do Hypo you will need a refractometer so you can exactly bring the SG level to 1.009 and you have to monitor the water so it stays at that level. You can only do this with a refractometer.
Second, you have to monitor Ammonia in the QT, because until the filter kicks in ammonia will rise. I know it's alot of work, but I know you can do it and we will all be here to help you.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #23

Thanks. I assume the refractometer is different then my hydrometer... Also, should I drop the salinity down before I put him in or after? I have a full on test kit for my tank, do the strips work just as well? Since I will be testing so much the strips might be easier.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #24

So, I come home from picking up the qt tank and my fish looks just fine. He is swimming, eating and looks great. Ummm??? Did I overreact thinking it was ich? I am still going to set up the qt tank...but I don't want to treat him if I was mistaken that he was ill...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #25
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by akasha View Post
Did I overreact thinking it was ich?
No, its still ich the parasite will gourge itself and then fall off and over 200 little ones called tomites will come back with a vengence. Read these.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #26

Awesome. So, at this point I am going to put together my qt tank, put him in it and do the hypo salinity. I will leave my dt just as it is...it will be fishless but will still have the live rock. If I do this for 8 weeks or so the parasite should die right? I need to add more live rock, so may that will be the time to do it...while it is sitting fishless again....I test my water again tonight and all my levels still look good. I really think I am cycled since the live rock and sand I had was in a established tank when I bought it. The water is clear and brown algae is growing on the sand.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's the best writeup on the how's and why's of hyposalinity, just to add to Melosu's links...

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #28

I cleaned the qt tank, but have no set it up yet. I don't have a good biological filter that I can put on the qt tank as of right now. I did put some polishing foam that I had left over into my filter on my dt. My old hob filter I have I do not have any filter media for. So, I will be getting that tomorrow. I thought at least trying the polishing foam would be better than nothing. Once I have so media I will set up my qt tank with water from my dt tank. I did do some reading on the hypo salinity, so I think I have a good handle on that. My main concern is the new qt tank without any good bio filtration.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com