Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Cycling frustration

Hi Guys,

Question for you. I have a 55 with LR, LS, Powerhead, HOB filter that came with the tank new and a canister filter.

First thing..my canister filter is leaking, so I am looking to buy something new, would you recommend another canister or maybe a Biowheel HOB? The HOB that I have is a Top Fin 60. Like I said, it came with the tank, it wouldn't have been my first choice. I bought the canister filter, LR and some of the LS from someone online that had a tank running.

Now, as far as my cycling question - For the past 2 weeks or so I have had readings on my ammonia levels .50ppm, but nothing on my nitrites. I did the shrimp trick, but am getting a little frustrated that I am not seeing any nitrites or nitrates. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you want to do with the tank? Fish only, Fish with LR, Reef? Once I know what you want then I can tell you what I think you would best need.
Also what kind of lights do you have if any.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #3

Fish only with live rock. The lights are just the standard ones that came with the tank kit. Nothing fancy.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, the lights you have is good enough for a fish only with liverock, Understand that if you go on to a reef setup you will have to get much better lights and at least 1.5 to 2 #'s per gallon of LR. If you are going to be on the heavy load of fish ore messy eaters then I would say to get another cannister or look on line at the company that made your cannister and see if you can get parts of it.
How much LR did you say you had? Is it still live or has it been out of lthe water for awhile?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

I have about 10lbs of LR. The LR was never out of the water...I brought it home wet and it went right into my tank. Do you recommend taking off the HOB that I have? I removed the canister last night, it was leaking pretty, so right now the ph and the hob are the only things running until I get a new canister. Any ideas why I am seeing the same amount of ammonia for the past 2 weeks, but no nitrites?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, take the shrimp out and see if the ammonia will go down and the nitrites start going up. You may have to much ammonia for your size tank and or amount of LR you have in your tank. check it daily and also see if you start getting any nitrates too.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

I checked my levels again last night and still no movement. I am not seeing any nitrates or nitrites. There is coraline algae still on the rocks and a little patch of greenish plant stuff on the rock. Could it be that I am already cycled? I should be seeing a little of the nitrates or nitrites right? The ammonia looks to me to be between .25ppm and .50ppm. It has never gone any higher. Frustrated!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you are showing ammonia you are not through with your cycle. Give it a few more days to see if removing the shrimp finishes your cycle.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #9

Thanks. I removed the shrimp days ago. I only had it in the tank for 3 or so days. The ammonia amounts remained the same before and after the shrimp. I was just reading about the Aptasia anemone. Apparently I have two of these little hitchhikers in my rock.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can remove the rock, now would be the time to get rid of them. Take the rock out and burn the aiptasia off the rock with a lighter or match. Be safe and don't burn yourself or your house.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com