Cycling me fowlr tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adampugsley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello ladies and gentlemen. New to this forum however I've been looking at peoples threads for months! So o finally got around to create a salt water tank so I got all the stuff 75 gall tank 20gall sump protein skim powerhead etc filled the tank up all salted up setup the sump had the water in the tank for a week or so before I setup sump however so anyway I did some tests and I got sky high nitrate nitrite off the scale intact and 0.6 ammonia I do understand this is the nitrogen cycle. So I got myself some caulerpa algae and 25kg of already matured live rock. Over the last few days not alot has happened test kit wise no budge on either of the 3 is this me being inpatient or am I doing something wrong. Thanks oh btw it's a sump fuge. If anyone could help me out much appreciated thanks

Give us some numbers on your nitrate and nitrite please. Also what did you use to start the cycle.

Hey pal. I used raw shrimp straight into tank to de compose my nitrate and nitrite last checked was off the scale

In that case I would recommend That you do a PWC (partial water change) of at least 20% and let the cycle continue.

I tried a partial water change previously and their wasn't a change in results :( however I'm going to observe the caulerpa for possible growth and of course change in reduction of the nitrate

personally i think you need to wait, this tank could take anything over 3-4 weeks as it is 90g of water.dont worry too much about the nitrates until ammonia has gone which it will,give it another week then test amm and nitrite.

Thanks for the advise. I did consider waiting but wasn't sure don't wanna wait months and still be in the same position I did consider purchasing a live dsb which could generate the cycle even quicker. Wasn't sure because of having water dwelling for a week with no filtration.

The reason I said to do A PWC was that your nitrates should not be off the charts if you still had ammonia and nitrites.

Thanks for the advise. I did consider waiting but wasn't sure don't wanna wait months and still be in the same position I did consider purchasing a live dsb which could generate the cycle even quicker. Wasn't sure because of having water dwelling for a week with no filtration.

By not waiting you could spend a lot of money trying to speed up the cycling process which won't help.A DSB will also take a long time to establish,how will you get a live dsb anyway?if you get a lot of live sand from another system you'll also be getting all the crap which comes with it causing another cycle.You have to be patient in this hobby

The nitrate and nitrate are the same very dark purple which nitrate is 110 mg/l

Back
Top Bottom