Cycling process & 60G Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bnortz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I'm new to SW and need some ideas and insight. My 60G tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks now. It has 10 lbs. of LR and my LFS gave me some gravel from their tank to seed mine. I have a power filter, small powerhead for now, and heater running. My ammonia is at 0, nitrIte at about 0.05, and nitrate at about 1. My pH is a bit high at 8.6. When should I be ready to start adding fish? Also, please give me some ideas on what I should stock with as a beginner. One more question, can I go without a good light for now? I have a small compact florescent I used on my old 10G but plan on eventually adding T5. I'm also gonna eventually get a skimmer.

Thanks,

Ben

Did you see your ammonia and nitrite rise first,Dont worry about the PH just yet untill nitrite is zero,once ammonia and nitrite is zero test nitrate if its over 20 do a 20-30% wc,you are then ready to add your fish,just add 2 small for now then add 1 per month,research your choice first.You could do with a fair amount more LR,You could do with a skimmer as well.The power filter will need to be cleaned every week which is why most shy away from them and go with a sump which is also where you can hide your equipment,Light isn't essential yet as your not getting corals.Clown fish are a great fish to have as a first fish! just stick too 1 breed.

Hopefully he did not give you gravel. It will trap fish waste and uneaten food in it causing excessive nutrients and nuisance algea problems. Best to have sand in your tank. When you see THIS happen then you`ll know the cycle is complete.

I actually didn't have test kits for ammonia and nitrite at the time I added live rock so that was a fault on my part. I'm assuming the levels are falling now and have already risen but I'll have to wait a few more weeks and test often to see. And no it wasn't really gravel it was more like sand with a few shells mixed in but I have a sand bed already so it shouldn't be a problem. If i have live rock already in can/should I still add the shrimp?

I'm eventually gonna add a skimmer once I get more money, considering im only 15. I'm building a wood canopy too where I'll mount my lighting. Im probably gonna use a IceCap ballast with T5 bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom