Cycling Process Mistakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started cycling my tank with dead shrimp about 20 days ago. Not sure if it's relevant but I added 50 lbs of live rock about 10 days ago and then finally 25 lbs of base rock yesterday. I have watched my ammonia levels spike (up to 2 or 3) and now they are at 0. My nitrites are up to 2 now. I think everything is going well.

My question: I was reading someones post tonight that the cycle should be done without the use protein skimmer or filter. I used both of them through the entire process. Should I shut them off now? Will this effect my cycle?

thanks
Tim 8)

If the filter has some sort of media that removes ammonia/nitrItes or nitrAtes could give you flalse readings. Judging by your post, it sounds like you are doing great and about finished with your cycle. Once you get 0 readings on ammonia and nitrItes, do a PWC to reduce your nitrAtes and you will be ready for your first critters. I hear some people don't really run their skimmers and others that do. You'll have to wait till one of them posts, since I don't run a skimmer.

I agree with Scott that it sounds as if you are doing fine. Since you got your nh3 to 2-3 ppm that's all that's really needed.

As far as not running a skimmer IMO it doesn't hurt either way and gives it time to break in anyways (which can take up to a week).

It sounds like everything is doing just fine. I agree that you could be using this time as the break in time for your skimmer.

I had mixed advice from people as well. I couldnt choose a side so I ran the skimmer throughout the cycle and it broke the skimmer in. I say go for it. Keep that puppy going.

Running the skimmer during the cycle will certainly not hurt anything. You may just not see a huge amount of collection due to the very low DOC level in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom