Cycling Tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I just started cycling my 20 gallon tank about 4 days back with about 18 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. My levels havent spiked yet so I will probably go get a raw shirmp to toss in there like I read around the forum. My question is that I have something whiteish looking covering some parts of my live rock and not sure what it is. I dont think its a sponge so could it just be die off? Pics below... thanks!

it could be die off or it could be a sponge i had something similar when my tank was cycling

I don't know what it is but it should die off eventually. All you basically do is keep the live rock in there for a month or two and just monitor the levels, there should be spikes in ammonia nitrites and nitrates before everything is stable.

It`s just where there used to be coralline at and it has bleached. After your cycle is complete it will turn back to color. No concerns.

Sounds good... I just wanted to make sure its not something I should be worried about. Did any of you use a raw shrimp to cycle or just the live rock? Thanks guys

I've used just live rock on some tanks and live rock with straight ammonia on others. :)

Never did the dead shrimp method though.

Good Luck!!

It's gonna smell awful. Just be prepared for that.

It's gonna smell awful. Just be prepared for that.

Not what I was hoping to hear since its in my room lol.. well anyways another question is I have 1 250gph powerhead pointed about 75% up but my sand is still moving around on the bottom for some reason. I also have a HOB filter on the opposite corner for now (going to take it out in 2 weeks) for added water movement. Any ideas? Thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom