cycling with Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally got some live rock into my tank on Friday July 2nd. Tested for ammonia on the 3rd 4th and 5th. Using a FasTest kit I haven't seen any hint of ammonia. Should I wait a while longer or should I put a frozen shrimp in to get the cycle going now? Also how long should I leave the lights on for? I have been running 2x65 CSL PC for about 4 hours total per day. Tank has been up and running for about 5 weeks now with only sand and Instant Ocean H2O.

75 Gal
60#s LR.com Live Base Rock
5"DSB
4x65 CSL PC
Temp 81-82
SG 1.025-1.026
RO/DI H2O

Where did you get your lr? If it was liverocks.com then give it another 3 days (until Friday) and if you have no ammonia showing I would say your good to go. Was that live sand or just sand? If it was live sand that would explain no ammonia and I guess you would be ready to go now but I'd still wait until Friday.

OldCaste sand, not live sand. LiveRocks.com Live Base Rock. I lost a brittle star that was maybe 1"round with 4" legs and removed it when it disintegrated and stopped moving. I also lost 2 small crabs (about 1/4" to 3/8") but I left them in the tank. There is a patch of unidentified corals on one of the rocks. Can I feed them with a little fish mush and forget about the shrimp?

I would not worry about it, lr.com base rock is supposed to be "teeming with live" but just not as pretty as their regular live rock. Have you tested for nitrites or nitrates? If the tank is cycled you shoudl have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and low nitrates.

I haven't bothered to check for nitrites or nitrates. I was expecting an climb in ammonia first.

Oops. Sorry somebody. I accidentally had my mouse on the " Report" thing and my kid hit the button and sent a report. I'm not sure who it was but I appolgize for that mistake.

Alright... I guess we won't lock the thread, then, Kalani. :wink:

Accidental reporting happens all the time, actually. Most of the reported posts we get are just a case of ppl hitting the "report" button instead of the "reply" button.

Hey again, it's been 6 days since the live rock has gone in. Still no hint of Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates. I'm thinking I should try a frozen shrimp! Yea or Neah?

Back
Top Bottom