Cycling with LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blkdrgn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We bought a 12g tank just to practice cycling and to test water conditions before we get the big tank. We might put one fish and a cleanup crew in the future. I added 7lbs of LR but only noticed the day later that it had a clam and small snail in a crevice. The clam was alive as I could see it open and close. Should I still add a small piece of dead shrimp for the cycling process? I was also thinking of adding a couple more lbs of LR.

IMO if the LR shows no signs of die off, ie ammopnia and/or nitrite readings, after a couple days, you could probably start to add a clean up crew, etc. Adding a shrimp would be good for really developing a bacteria colony, but you'll have to monitor ammonia and nitrite and do PWC's accordingly. Too high levels of ammo/nitrite can kill off the beneficial life in/on the rock.

OK thanks. I accidentally put in half a shrimp for half a day yesterday. I will test the water again today.

Back
Top Bottom