Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Not to high during your cycle but why is it that high if your heater is set at 75? Do you have air conditioning in the room? Do you have your lights on?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We have central air and it's 72 degrees in the room where the tank is. I haven't had the lights on at all. I lowered the temp on the heater to 72 about an hour ago and the water temp is slowly coming down. Maybe a bad heater? It is a 300w heater. Is this too big for a 55 gallon aquarium?

Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What brand heater? What type of thermometer?

I've found the heater temperature setting is rarely equal to the true temp when the thermostat will turn on and off. Heaters are consistent, but the temperature markings on them should probably only be used as a reference.

You might want to stick a second thermometer in just to give yourself two references, to make sure your first thermometer is being honest. Once you are comfortable that it's reading correctly, you can take the second out. I do that from time to time, just to make sure nothing is going funky on me.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

A 150W-200W heater would have been plenty with central air/heat but the 300W just means it has to work less to heat the water. Dial it down till it's where you want it and see if it drifts from that point. If it drifts more the 2-3 degrees in a 24 hour period or you have to adjust more then once or twice a week I'd replace it.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

800 to 1000 gph is what is recommended for a 55 gallon? Should I get two powerheads then? I was looking into the Hagen Aquaclear Ph's.

My temp went down to 79 since i lowered the heater to 72.

Should I have more than one cannister filter also?

Think I'll have to wait on the live rock for now. Didn't think all of this would be as expensive.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

IMO a 15-20 times total tank turnover is optimal for good oxygen exchange and to keep the tank well circulated i.e. the 800-1000 total GPH figure. You want at least two PH in the 300+ GPH range like two Maxi-Jet 1200 or two Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pump (2) like Scott had suggested on your other post.

One canister is more then enough and should only be used for circulation and infrequent chemical usage and cleaned weekly or every other week.

LR is one of the biggest expenses next to quality lighting and skimmer. I wouldn't wait too long, it's well worth the investment.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank

Tags
cycling, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com