cyno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question. I recently have had a cyno outbreak. It spread very quick. I have been doing constsnt water changes to help. But my question is could lighting be causing the problem. The reason I ask is I have the cyno in my main tank but I dont have any in my sump. I dont have lighting in my sump. Also in my tank I noticed that there is none in areas were the light does not shine like under rock ledges and in caves. Any help will be appricated suggestions to get rid of it would also be great.

I have a question. I recently have had a cyno outbreak. It spread very quick. I have been doing constsnt water changes to help. But my question is could lighting be causing the problem. The reason I ask is I have the cyno in my main tank but I dont have any in my sump. I dont have lighting in my sump. Also in my tank I noticed that there is none in areas were the light does not shine like under rock ledges and in caves. Any help will be appricated suggestions to get rid of it would also be great.

Algae grows based on lighting and nutrients. I'd bet your phosphates or nitrates are high. Cutting down your lights will help but it will come back if you don't get the nutrients under control.

my nano cube was ridden with cyano because I didn't have much flow over the sand bed. In my 60, with a ton of flow, I haven't seen any type of algae at all. I'd make sure you have some decent flow over the sand bed, but not too much to stir the sand up. Then, the cyano can't settle and multiply.

Few questions?
1. I have been doing 10gal wc everyother day. Shoukd I continue tjis ro would it be better to do one large wc weely?

2. As im sucking up this cyno id it ok thst some floats around the tank. Will it land else were and continue to grow?

3. My friend gave me a chemical called chemiclean. Should I use this to speed up getting rid of the cyno. I know it will return if a fail to do my wc's. I have learned the hard way that you csn not neglect salt water very long lesdon learned.

4. Finslly I read that it will help to shut off lighting for a few days. Any suggedtions on this. What would be the effect on fish? Also would it hurt my, kenya treedms, duncons, mushrooms or leathers?

Thsnks for all the help

Josh

I've used chemiclean a few times and it worked quite well. It's just like you said though, it will come back if you don't sort out your water. That's what this is, a nutrient problem.

I would not shut the lights off if you have photosynthetic creatures in the tank. They need the light.

How are you feeding? Cut back to a couple/few times a week.

I feed brine or mysis shrimp everyother day. Just one cube. I have two clowns, firefish, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, and a wrasse. I also put an alga waffer normslly once some times teice a week.

I also along with wc I have been cleaning alll my filters everyother day is this good?

I feed brine or mysis shrimp everyother day. Just one cube. I have two clowns, firefish, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, and a wrasse. I also put an alga waffer normslly once some times teice a week.

I also along with wc I have been cleaning alll my filters everyother day is this good?
Yes. I would thaw and lose the juice from the cubes before tossing them in also. They are froze in some pretty nasty water.

Yes. I would thaw and lose the juice from the cubes before tossing them in also. They are froze in some pretty nasty water.

Ok I will start doing that. I have just been dumping them in the take after they are defrosted.

I also have a flat worm problem its not large yet but I notice them. I read they can cause problem fast. Do you have any recommendations on how to take care of them.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
What color are they? Red? if so they are common red planaria and their populations will rise and fall with the available food supply. I would just vacuum out what you can with water changes and not worry about them.

What color are they? Red? if so they are common red planaria and their populations will rise and fall with the available food supply. I would just vacuum out what you can with water changes and not worry about them.

They are orange

Yep. These are the same ones. They don't directly go after corals, but they seek light along with eating pods, and sometimes end up covering corals. Easily vacuumed off though.

Ok ill keeping sucking them up. They are just very unattractive and I think take away from the tanks bueaty thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom