Daily feeding habits of baby Volitan Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobyrock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm interested in adding a baby Volitan Lion to my tank. Can someone tell me what the daily feeding habits are of a small lion? Guppies? How often?

ANy information you could pass along would be great! Thanks!

Volitans don't need fed every day. I feed my lion every other day. Feeding to is actually bad for them. Also, I wouldn't bother with guppies. Lions can be easily taught to feed on fresh seafood or thawed seafood. I use a plastic feeding stick but, plastic tongs would work also. Just wiggle the food in front of the lion to get it's attention. Might take a few tries but, don't give up.

are the guppies bad for them? or just in excess? (like us eating steak every meal)

A friend of mine fed his live goldfish once a week and his got huge.

What would be a good feeding schedule/rotation?

Actually, fw fish aren't' a good alternative food source. Lions are not particular and will eat just about anything so, yeah, they'll take it but, long term it could cause health problems. Also, I believe goldfish are extra bad and will cause them to get fatty liver which will shorten their life. Here is an excerpt taken from B. Fenners book...

"Goldfish are not a good steady diet for several reasons. They're nutritionally deficient, incovienient, expensive and my make your lion aggressive."

I feed mine every other day and I alternate food from frozen/thrawed shrimp, silversides and freeze dried krill. You can pick up a few bits of fresh fish or shrimp from your local grocer for pennies and be giving him a much better diet.

Brine has hardly any nutritional value at all. I wouldn't bother. Brine aren't a recommended food for any sw fish. More like fish candy.

Be REALLY wary of live brine shrimp. According to my supplier, they can carry parasites (or diesase, I forget). He recommends rinsing them with FW before feeding, but I decided to skip them altogether from now on.

Back
Top Bottom