Damsel and clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgentBirdman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My striped damsel is acting weird. I introduced a clarkii clown to my tank yesterday and the damsel goes up to it and flutters his tail against the clarkii...it doesn't seem aggressive. It doesn't nip at it it just flutters his tail against the clarkiis side... And sometimes my 2 percula clowns seem to turn on their side twitch for a sec and then go back to normal.. They dont do it often but every once in a while...any thoughts?

I agree. Your damsel is definitely acting territorial with the clownfish, because it's pushing it away with it's tail.

Thanx greatly appreciated...the clown doesn't seem very bothered by it...if the damsel starts really acting like a jerk I'll bring him back to the store... I just put damsel in the tank in the beginning to make sure it was inhabitable... Had it about 3 months now

I would definitely take it back. Damselfish are very territorial, and since it was the first fish placed, it thinks the whole tank is his LOL

I have two 3 stripped damsels and I am going to take them back when I trasnfer to my 90 gallon. They killed my cleaner wrasse. Took a chunk out of his side. They flex all the time to all my fish and have started to do so with my clowns. I noticed one of my clowns had a little bit of his tail missing but it has grown back. They take over the whole tank. My clowns hold their ground but the damsles won't let up. Pain in my arse.

Once the clarkii clown feels comfortable in it's new home, it will kick the damsels tail. ;) They are very mean and aggressive. I have a mated pair of clarkii's and the female fears nothing. It's not a good idea to have a mix of clowns either, especially perculas and the clarkii. If you have 3 now, you will end up with 2.

clown_6-09.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that clownfish turn on their side and twitch when they are very unhappy about a new fish. My Ocellaris twitched once at my new B AND W. I think you may have some large aggressive issues with three clowns. Good luck with your fish!

Back
Top Bottom