Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I read a lot about everyone having issues with damsels and find it hard to believe

I have had mine over a year and there all class citizens in my reef

I think the trick is not to have any 2 the same type

I have 1 domino , 1 three stripe , 1 yellow tail , 1 yellow , 1 yellow belly

they all have there own cave and don't bother anyone in the tank

they basically just hang out around there cave opening

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I'm going to remove them just in case. I would hate for a 3$ fish to kill one of my 50$ fish

Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I read a lot about everyone having issues with damsels and find it hard to believe

I think that's the way handle them
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post

I agree. You can't let them form a "gang", for lack of a better word. I have one honey red chromis (damsel) in my 30g, and he's been great. No problems at all so far. It's only been a couple of months, but he gets along with all the other fish. They all swim in the same general area, and no fights, no deaths. He has his own spot to sleep and all day hangs out with the other fish. I'm happy with him.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started my tank with 4 of them. Found that domino was the most aggressive, putting another fish in there was not even an option because he was like a piranha. Once I returned him to the LFS, the three stripe sort of became "the man" and became the most aggressive. After I returned him the yellow belly became the most aggressive. So when I got my clowns I didn't want to take a chance and returned the yellow belly as well as the yellow tail back to the LFS. I have a feeling the yellow tail would have been ok to keep because he was very passive but I just didn't want to take a chance. Catching them is a horror story of its own. On the other hand I hear some people don't have any problems at all but it seems like majority of the people get the short end of the stick. But if it ever gets to the point where you want to return them and you're an hour in trying to catch them I'm sure you'll say the same thing as me "I should've never put you in my tank!"
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz View Post
I started my tank with 4 of them. Found that domino was the most aggressive, putting another fish in there was not even an option because he was like a piranha. Once I returned him to the LFS, the three stripe sort of became "the man" and became the most aggressive. After I returned him the yellow belly became the most aggressive. So when I got my clowns I didn't want to take a chance and returned the yellow belly as well as the yellow tail back to the LFS. I have a feeling the yellow tail would have been ok to keep because he was very passive but I just didn't want to take a chance. Catching them is a horror story of its own. On the other hand I hear some people don't have any problems at all but it seems like majority of the people get the short end of the stick. But if it ever gets to the point where you want to return them and you're an hour in trying to catch them I'm sure you'll say the same thing as me "I should've never put you in my tank!"
My damsel is in a tank with my dwarf angel, and the angel has been the boss of the tank for a while, so I'm pretty sure that if the damsel tries to get huffy, the angel will put him in his place. Haha
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm new to this hobby, 1 week plus. Got a 10gl tank 1 live rock 4 demsles, with 3 hermit crab. With in the 1st night 1 got kill, then 2 others, and finally the last 1 died. Its probably had lots to do with the water conditions, but 2 of them got bite marks all over and fins are all gone. Went back into the store, the owner gave me 2 more, a orange and green demsle. After 2 days the green killed the orange demsle....... now water conditions r perfect, got 2 clowns in there so far day 1 is good but we shall see =)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish? If not, that could be part of the problem. What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity)? What filtration are you using? Water parameters are likely not perfect if its only been up a week (too quick to cycle) and if all the fish are dying on you. Damsels are pretty tough. Four, all at once in any size tank is probably not a good idea. Sounds like you are moving way too fast and if the tank was not cycled, all those fish are going to overload the biological filtration.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish? If not, that could be part of the problem. What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, salinity)? What filtration are you using? Water parameters are likely not perfect if its only been up a week (too quick to cycle) and if all the fish are dying on you. Damsels are pretty tough. Four, all at once in any size tank is probably not a good idea.
Ammonia, nitrite was @ 0, and nitrate is low forgot the number. Filter is a three stage one, with sponge, carbon, and some white stuff.. (newb).. another thing was that for the first few days I had no heater, so water temps were probably in the mid to low 60s..... I also added another live rock several days back, totaling about 1lbs for 1 gallon.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0311Marine View Post

Ammonia, nitrite was @ 0, and nitrate is low forgot the number. Filter is a three stage one, with sponge, carbon, and some white stuff.. (newb).. another thing was that for the first few days I had no heater, so water temps were probably in the mid to low 60s..... I also added another live rock several days back, totaling about 1lbs for 1 gallon.
And to answer the question I didn't cycle the tank which I think cause the fishes to not be very happy, and added on to the inital problem. Past few days the last green demsle has been way more active, hopefully it will live a longer life than its predecessors =)

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com