damsel on a rampage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomicbiscut

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have seen my yellowtail damsel picking on my domino damsel a lot. then i saw him pick on my huma huma trigger(yes,him picking on my trigger) taking a chunk out of his tail. now i wake up to find my dragon wrasse has an eye missing. i tried to catch the damsel with a net,but he can hide in to many spots. about an hour later i look back the dragon wrasse is dead on the bottom of the tank with both eyes missing. anyway they both got flushed down teh toilet.

thought i'd share because ive had many damsels and never seen anything like this before.

Sorry for your losses :( You were posting about setting up a new tank just a couple of days ago so I hope you didn't add all these fish to a new tank without first doing a fishless cycle. If so improper water parameters were most likely the death of your fish and not the Yellow tail.

My yellow tail is very tame but active. Also Dragon Wrasse are not the hardiest of fishes from what I've read and been told by other aquarist.

How are your water parameters currently?

For removing problem fish read Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro.

My yellow tails are very docile, compared to the other damsels in my tank.

i was making that post about a new tank i am gonna set up. this tank has been set up for about 6 months and all levels are good. i take A LOT of time taking care of my tanks making sure everything is superb for the fishes.

thats why i thought this was wierd because i have had many yellowtail damsels before and never seen anything like this. i had the dragon wrasse for about 4 months with no problems at all.

when this happened i saw him picking at the dragon wrasse. 1 eye was dangling when i woke up,but after watching it was definatly the damsel picking at his eyes. im confused on how this guy was picking at the huma huma trigger also. when i bought this damsel i actually bought 3 yellowtail damsels,but in 2 min the huma huma ate the other 2,but never touched this damsel in 5 months.they were all the same size so i have no idea.??

Glad to here that & just wanted to make sure :D That's one mean damsel you have there. I couldn't imagine a trigger leaving it alone much less getting picked on by a damsel 8O

im confused on it too..he must have been the chuck norris of damsels.

add any fish into your tank but definitely NO damsels, period. They are mean little buggers only create problems.

I had 3 yellow tail damsels and only 1 was mean. He killed the other 2 and my cardinal. I haven't added any more fish since, but when I do, I'm thinking of flushing the little bugger so he doesn't kill anymore. I didn't know they were so damn mean.

I would suggest, you trade it to another person or your LFS. I would never just flush a living fish down the toilet. I have a 55G full of damsels, I didn't want to try and catch them, I went and got another tank...LOL!

I'm surprised the LFS industry hasn't fixed this "Damsel" issue yet. There are only a few that are really colorful but you pay for that in wicked aggressiveness.

I had to dismantle my rock to get my 3 damsels out of my tank. Sorry for your loss though.

Back
Top Bottom