Damselfish Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rive1404

Aquarium Advice Freak
After my experiences with damsels, I told myself I'd never get another one. But now my dad wants some.

We have a 75 gallon FOWLR with a lone 2"-3" Huma Trigger. It looks barren and lonely. He wants to put hardy, colorful, and active fish in it to brighten it up a little.

Any suggestions as to what damselfish will tolerate each other in a 75? We're looking at adding anywhere from 10-20 fish at the same time to hopefully lessen aggression between the damsels and the trigger.

So, what kind of damsels should we get?

Your tank will not handle the bioload change for that many fish. You will have a big ammonia spike if you add that many at one time. 10-20 damselfish will be a war zone. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it wont work. Maybe come up with a difference plan to add color. Clowns, dwarf angels, gobies and many other fish out there will add color and you can add them maybe two at a time.

Ha! You just kept us from buying a bunch of damsels. If you're being anything, it's not the bearer of bad news. Right after I posted this I just realized what an impact 10-20 fish would have on the water chemistry. Good call, Melosu! We've crossed out the damsel idea, but this tank needs color. I'm thinking a few wrasse?

A wrasse would be good. If you are thinking color try a flame angel or coral beauty. A pink spotted goby just to name a few.

Thanks for the suggestions. We tried a bicolor angel and a yellow angel from our LFS, and we couldn't get them to eat. I think we may add a juvi. Koran angel and a wrasse. We really like the Midas blenny, too.

Rule number one I always tell folks is make sure the fish is eating at the LFS. Ask the LFS to feed a little and make sure he is eating.

I tell my dad that all the time, but he just gets caught up in the excitement. Great advice!

Back
Top Bottom