Damsel's Fate.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, i got a quick question... i haven't started my tank YET, but as i mentioned before my girl has a 10gal tank with a paired Perculas and a Yellow tail Damsel. The Damsel is a little prick, it picks on the Perculas and takes all the good space in the tank. So she wants it out, and i don't want it on mine. So instead of Flushing it, we though maybe we could take it to the beach and let it free... I live in Fort Lauderdale, so would this be a more "humane" method ???'

Thanks alot
Leo

i have no experience with saltwater fish, but i would advise highly against releasing ANY pet into the wild. if it is not native in your area, it can become a pest, but more likely it will just die, not being used to the chemistry of the sea. can you not take it back to the store where you got it?

I live in Fort Lauderdale, so would this be a more "humane" method ???'
No and it is illegal ..Just take it to the lps and see if they will take him or offer him up on a board some one may take him ... You would just need to bag him with water and place him in a shipping box with styrofoam ..... But what ever you do , DO NOT RELEASE HIM. He probably would NOT survive any way ...

I agree not releasing him in the ocean. Even if you have to just give him to the LFS they will probably take him and sell him to make a profit. I know there are several places in that are. Also you can go to the regional boards on this site and find yours and post on there and maybe someone will want him. Just some suggestions

Thanks alot guys. yeah we are not going to "release" it. she is going to buy a small 5gal tank and put it in her brother's room. he is 11 and i am sure he would like it. Thanks for the advice!

FWIW, the root of your problem is that a 10g is way to small for a damsel. They should be in a 30g or larger ideally. So putting it is a 5g does not really improve the situation.

I agree... He is probably grouchy because he feels crowded. Yellowtail damsels are one of the least aggressive damsels and can be model citizens in the right environment.

afilter said:
FWIW, the root of your problem is that a 10g is way to small for a damsel. They should be in a 30g or larger ideally. So putting it is a 5g does not really improve the situation.

Really ??? well he would be 100% by himself in there. hummm i don't know then. Well i need to go to my lfs tomorrow, so maybe i'll see if i can trade it for a Green Chromis. they are about the same price

IMHHO a 10 gallon will be just fine for him as long as he is the lone fish. They are hardy and will do fine in a 10 , I have kept them in my 7gmb with no problems either ....Just keep up the PWC and perameters at 0 and he should do fine

Back
Top Bottom