dead chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw the hermit crabs in my tank eating a dead chromis today. I tested my water and levels were all at 0.00. I thought the dead fish would cause some increase to my ammonia level.

If you have a good enough bio filter then it won't affect the ammonia/nitrite levels. Chromis will often kill the weaker ones in the school. So if you can't find any other reason then that is probably what happened.

As mentioned above if you have the proper amount of nitrifying bacteria on your surfaces then you might not even notice. I have a 125 and if a fish dies I never see a jump in my parameters. Sorry about your loss.

If you have a good enough bio filter then it won't affect the ammonia/nitrite levels. Chromis will often kill the weaker ones in the school. So if you can't find any other reason then that is probably what happened.

That's an interesting fact I'll have to file away for later use.

Chromis are fairly aggressive, sorry for your loss :( I experienced a loss today as well. Never fun :(

As mentioned above, in my experience, the weaker ones die off very quickly. I don't know if they are killed or just die from stress. For example, I bought 7 and 3-of them died in the first few days. The remaining 4 have been thriving for close to a year.

Back
Top Bottom