Dead Clown Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezra8378

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just curious. I woke up to find my juvenile clown trigger laying flat. I am bumbed out. It was doing so well. Got along with everyone in the tank. The one thing I noticed was that two of my shark eggs were bitten into. Could have the eggs killed my trigger. Both eggs were destroyed. Any input would help. All of the tanks water qualities were fine. Thx

Doubtful.
Can you tell us more about the system so we can help point you in the right direction?

125 with a 50 gallon sump and in sump protein skimmer. Rock in the sump as well. Blue tang, yellow tang, Val lion, niger trigger. All small no more than 4 inch each. Niger is probably 2 inches. The clown was about 3 inches. Had 3 shark eggs. 2 marble cat, 1 bamboo shark. The bottoms of the 1 marble cat and bamboo shark eggs were bitten off. Put the other egg in my 65 gallon. All my readings were in the green.

Well that is going to be one over stocked tank once fully grown.
I’d look towards bullying behaviors from the remaining livestock along with the trigger being the culprit for nipping, they are not reef friendly by any means. It may also be the culprit that had issue with the clown trigger as well.

Well that is going to be one over stocked tank once fully grown.
I’d look towards bullying behaviors from the remaining livestock along with the trigger being the culprit for nipping, they are not reef friendly by any means. It may also be the culprit that had issue with the clown trigger as well.

This is just for a short while. Building a 250. Just thought I could get away with these for a bit. There is no coral in the 125. Just rock. The clown was biting the rock at times.

And most likely your shark eggs. I’d suggest looking at compatibility chart over at liveaquaria.com to get an idea what can thrive together...I wouldn’t expect the trigger to stop even after the shark is born. Then once it’s big enough, it might not stop returning the favor to your trigger.

Shark eggs are thought to give off a protective substance to protect them in the wild from predation. Your trigger may have been subject to that by biting into them.
That said, Triggers and sharks are not usually a good combination as the triggers can easily damage a shark's eyes or fins with their teeth.
As for the biting of the rock, Triggers actually use rock and corals to sharpen their teeth so biting it is "normal" for the specie.
Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom