Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

dead inverts!!

So my tank has been running for 4 months now and all levels are great! So in the last 2 weeks I have added a cleaner shrimp and a michaels pistol shrimp. Both have died within 36 hours. But I added a watchman goby with the cleaner and a sailfin tang with the michaels. And both fish are doing great! So what is the problem? The only thing I can think is my large emerald crab is killing and eating them but then again my michaels pistol shrimp was about 1 1/2 inches long so it should have held its own but idk. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is your emerald crab? Have you been keeping up with your PWCs? I know shrimp have been known to die during their molting process if there is not enough iodine in the water.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

He is about 1 1/2" and it couldn't be during molting because everything else is molting just fine all the hermits and everything I do my pwc every 2 weeks and check levels every week. If too high ill my pwc early but never had an issue
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its about 1 1/2" and I do pwc every 2 weeks and check levels every week haven't had a problem since the end of the 1st month. Idk what the problem could be.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about acclimation process? Sometimes inverts can have a tough time during acclimation. Fish can adjust little better
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hang the bag on the inside of the tank and put in a shot glass worth of tank water in the bag every 5 min for an hour. If this is wrong please tell me how to do it correctly so I don't waste any more money
Old 01-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That method is fine although you can increase water amount you add over the course of the time and be up to a bigger cup toward the end. It isn't as important and how long you do it. More important is the parameters match. Inverts and sensitive to salinity and ph. You can always test salinity before you add to tank. If my math is correct that works out to be 12 ounces of water added to bag. Which doesn't seem like much. Do you at least double the water volume in bag?? You can also do drip acclimation which is over course of hour or so as well and slowly drips water into another canister or tank and starts off with slow drip and you gradually speed it up every 10 min or so.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I double the water by the time I'm done. Ill have to look into the drip system. Can you get that at the lfs?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
Yeah I double the water by the time I'm done. Ill have to look into the drip system. Can you get that at the lfs?
You probably have what you need at your house. Can use old salt bucket maybe. Cleaned well of course. Use a long piece of 1/4 airline start a siphon and tie it in a knot and let it sit in bucket with new addition. Start drip at about 2 or 3 drips every few seconds and loosen knot every 10 min. By time hour is up should at least double water volume. The water stream can but almost steady drip. Even if more than double volume. No harm done. If parameters match that is what is important. For me it is mainly salt. Ph and temp should be good with the water going in.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I should just test the water in my bucket to make sure its the same as in my tank before introducing livestock into tank?

Tags
dead, inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com