Dead rock for a birthday present!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Never thought I would be asking for something like dead rock for a birthday present, but I am. I don't really want to buy online but I don't have a place to purchase it within about an hour away so I'm kinda stuck. Just was wondering what the best place to buy from and what kind of rock would be best. My first 46 gal fowlr tank is not set up yet but I plan on having it up and going in the next few months

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I LOVE my rock that I got from saltwaterfish.com. Was dried out, but was live and some algae and critters came out of it that I was happy about...some that I wasn't.
If you don't want to go the true live rock route, bulkreefsupply.com and get some of their dry/base rock. People here have been very successful with this stuff. I'd make sure to soak it for a couple days in ro/di to get any possible phosphates to leach out of it/dust off.

Cool, yea I'm going all dry rock. I figured brs is where I would end up. Is there any certain rock that is more pourous on average?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have ordered most of my rock from Reef Cleaners. That place has some really good rock, as well as other things like macro algae's, inverts, etc. I always recommend them because the rock is fairly cheap, ships pretty quick and only needs the dust from shipping rinsed off.

I've gotten base rock from BRS, marco rocks and reefcleaners. BRS has some nice choices such as their pukani and tonga branch. But if you are looking for basic rock then take a look at reeflceaners.org. They have been the cheapest and they ship right out. :)
The Reef Rock Store

Try them too, you can get a 40lb box of sand from them for shipping, $15 when you buy the rock. Its $85 for 40lbs which is very cheap.

Good luck

If you're just interested in dead rock, I bought a couple boxes of Carib Sea South Sea Base Rock from amazon. It's $74 for 40lbs. With amazon prime, I got my second box the next day for 0 shipping (normally 2 days). My only complaint is that while the rock is very nice, it tends more toward rounder pieces as opposed to flat shelves. Definitely nice for building up your scape. Just an FYI.

Back
Top Bottom