Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Dead rock live rock

Hi I am planning on starting my tank soon, and I was wondering if I add about 70lbs of dead dry rock to my tank and mix some live rock in there how long would the rest of the rock take to come alive? Is this a good way to start my 100gal tank n I also have about 120lbs of live sand... What u guys think?

Jj49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know how long but most people do this.

crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
How long it will take will depend in how much live vs dead you use and if you are able to seed your filter as well. I just cycled a 30g with mostly dead rock and few pieces of LR, but I also took filter media from my 55g and put it into the 30g filter.y cycle took 11 days. Your tank is MUCH bigger than that, so I would think it'll take longer than that. When I cycled my 55g I used all LR and all LS but wasn't able to seed the filter and it took 4 weeks to cycle, just as a comparison.
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, dead rock, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com