Dead tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After returning the flame angel. I get home and one of my powerheads fell of the glass and blew the sandbed up. Fixed the powerhead(I left the cups on the magnets). Every one seemed fine and all. At feeding time, they all ate like hogs. About 10:30, I checked the tank and my blue tang was being disposed of by my tiger cowrie. Pulled the fish out and disposed of it. Done a water test and amm was 0, nitrite was .25 and nitrate was 0. I'm thinking the sand could've had a dead spot in it and decaying matter built up and caused the spike and killed the tang. Do you guys see anything else it may have been? All the other fish are ok(no heavy breathing,laying on the bottom, swimming erradically) This is my first casualty due to death, and it stinks royally.

Sorry for your loss. It doesn't seem the levels got high enough to kill a fish. Could have stressed from the blowing sand, but it was most likely not related.

How long have you had the tang?

Sorry about your loss. Maybe could have been the stirring up of the sand gave you an ammonia spike.

I only had the tang about 3 mos. It was about 2in long. I qt'd it for ich when i got it and didn't notice any other problems. I didn't see an ammonia spike but did get a .25 in nitrite. I figure that done the fish in. The rest of them never showed any problems or acted weird. The area that got blown around had what looked like a hydrogen sulfide deposit except it was red instead of grey. I have the koralia powerheads but didn't take the cups off when I got them. I hate a fish had to pay the price for my ignorance. My fiance did bury the fish(it deserved a proper cermony) which stinks because it was one of the very few tangs I had ever seen that didn't freak out over me working in the tank or anything else. The first one is always the toughest I guess.

Back
Top Bottom