Dealing with algae and cyno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29g FOWLR been up for a little over a year now. Had basic T8 marine lamp for a long time now I've upgraded to aquatic life T5s (thinking of moving deeper into hobby than FOWLR) along with the switch came an algae boom. Have HOB filter (filter pad, ammonia remover, chemi-pure elite) along with two koralia 425 circulation pumps.

Tank is stocked with one clown, one blue green chromis, four blue-legged hermits, two nassarius snails and a peppermint shrimp. Live rock as well as live sand.

Would appreciate any advice with dealing with the outbreak.

I've had this before. A few times actually. Probably a nitrate and/or phosphate problem. Scrub off the cyano and do a water change. Give it a week, assess, then do it again until it stops growing. might want to also get phosphate rocks.

What kind of food are you putting in? Hopefully not flakes. You should be using frozen stuff; mysis or brine shrimp. Don't over feed.

That should take care of the problem.

I've had this before. A few times actually. Probably a nitrate and/or phosphate problem. Scrub off the cyano and do a water change. Give it a week, assess, then do it again until it stops growing. might want to also get phosphate rocks. What kind of food are you putting in? Hopefully not flakes. You should be using frozen stuff; mysis or brine shrimp. Don't over feed. That should take care of the problem.

I feed small pellets as of right now. Been thinking of using brine shrimp as well to feed variety every other day. I test weekly on Saturdays and haven't seen any nitrates during my tests. I'm leaning toward a phosphate problem. It's more of a sand problem than it being on the rocks. Usually starts on the glass though. What should I do about the grow on the sand?

It's also more of a hair algae problem than cyano but I know they can go hand in hand. Cyano has popped up since yesterday though.

Vacuum out the sand during your next water change. Get as much out as you can. Those pellets are probably loaded with phosphates as preservatives. I'd quit using them until your phosphate problem goes away. then use every once in a while. Feed everyone primarily the frozen shrimp. Also, how is your lighting? Go easy on that too for a while. Light feeds algae. The red stuff might also be growing in areas of stagnant water. Try increasing the flow with an extra power head, or just change direction. Good luck.

Vacuum out the sand during your next water change. Get as much out as you can. Those pellets are probably loaded with phosphates as preservatives. I'd quit using them until your phosphate problem goes away. then use every once in a while. Feed everyone primarily the frozen shrimp. Also, how is your lighting? Go easy on that too for a while. Light feeds algae. The red stuff might also be growing in areas of stagnant water. Try increasing the flow with an extra power head, or just change direction. Good luck.

My lights are aqualife T5s, on about 9-10hrs a day. I heard rinsing pellet foods before feeding helps get rid of some of the phosphates. It that correct?

Well, I think with that much light, probably want another power head, or pull back on the lighting. Why do you have all that lighting on? Do you have corals or just live rock? I have just live rock and fish. T5 lighting comes on only when I'm feeding, when people are over, or if I'm just enjoying it. I still have to be careful because I'll get a green hair algae issue once in a while.

Well, I think with that much light, probably want another power head, or pull back on the lighting. Why do you have all that lighting on? Do you have corals or just live rock? I have just live rock and fish. T5 lighting comes on only when I'm feeding, when people are over, or if I'm just enjoying it. I still have to be careful because I'll get a green hair algae issue once in a while.

I have stronger powerheads but they create a very strong current for such a small tank. Only thing I just added was a condy anemone. Typically read it was best to have light on for 8-10 hours, so I just kept it that way. I am leaning towards going reef in the future so I made the investment in the t5 lighting when I could. My lights are on a timer so I don't turn them on and off manually unless I'm cleaning the tank.

Back
Top Bottom