Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Death of a chromis

One of my chromis died today. All three seemed healthy when I purchased them but I did notice that one always hide in the rocks from the day I got them. My water parameters are fine. Could he have been stressed and that caused his death. I didn't see the other two bullying him...

Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank?

Old 10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

20 gallon. They are only about 1 1/2" long so plenty of room in the tank
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansouci01 View Post
20 gallon. They are only about 1 1/2" long so plenty of room in the tank
Chromis usually dwindle down to one over time. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a second one soon as well. They are technically a damsel and will kill each other, just not always in front of you.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its infortunate but it does happen. It doesnt mean you did anything wrong and as long as your water is testing fine then i wouldnt stress it too much. Some fish just dont make it, remember that they have most likely traveled thousands of miles to get to your tank with not perfect conditions alot of times.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chromis do that? I thought they were schooling fish? Says on liveaquria to get 3 or more because they do better in schools.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

See very top says they enjoy schools. So why would they kill one another? I have no experience with chromis so I can't say what they do, but I was thinking about adding a few for a schooling fish in my tank. So It would be helpful to know if they do indeed kill one another!

What else is in your 20 gallon tank may I ask?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Chromis do that? I thought they were schooling fish? Says on liveaquria to get 3 or more because they do better in schools.

Chromis for Sale: Blue and Green Chromis and other Reef Species

See very top says they enjoy schools. So why would they kill one another? I have no experience with chromis so I can't say what they do, but I was thinking about adding a few for a schooling fish in my tank. So It would be helpful to know if they do indeed kill one another!

What else is in your 20 gallon tank may I ask?
My friend had 6, now he has 1. They killed each other. Type in chromis killing other chromis and you will see lots of ppl with similar results. A school is not 3 fish, in the wild these fish are found in huge groups like 50+ so aggression gets spread but usually in captivity the big one picks on the littler ones and kills them. I've seen it at my store I work at too. We will get a bunch and ill lose them slowly over the next couple weeks until there is just 1.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
My friend had 6, now he has 1. They killed each other. Type in chromis killing other chromis and you will see lots of ppl with similar results. A school is not 3 fish, in the wild these fish are found in huge groups like 50+ so aggression gets spread but usually in captivity the big one picks on the littler ones and kills them. I've seen it at my store I work at too. We will get a bunch and ill lose them slowly over the next couple weeks until there is just 1.
That sucks! Thanks for letting me know! That would have sucked for me to find out. :-p

I am also starting a Pet store, so it's nice to know! Well, I hope I will be starting a pet store. Lots of work left to do before I even go for a loan. :-p
Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post

That sucks! Thanks for letting me know! That would have sucked for me to find out. :-p

I am also starting a Pet store, so it's nice to know! Well, I hope I will be starting a pet store. Lots of work left to do before I even go for a loan. :-p
Yeah no problem. Some people do have success with them but from what I've seen one always bullies the others.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I'll agree with that, I've had up to six chromis, they disappeared over time, one at a time. ... Always wondered what happened to them.

Tags
chromis, death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com