deciding on new crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chester

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 29gal fowlr tank that has been set up for about a year now
the inhabitants are:
about 12 hermits
3 peppermint shrimp (one large, two very small)
1 porcelain crab
2 zebra turbo snails
1 choc. chip star, 1 large brittle star
a few nassarius snails
5 kenya trees, all spawned from 1 original
little star polyps
2 false percula clowns
1 firefish

after listing everything it looks like a lot to me, but that tank still seems kind of bare (except at feeding time)

anyways my question is

i have a small patch of bubble algae growing so i was thinking of adding a emerald crab. anyone know how he will get along with all the other inverts i have?

also today i read this at live aquaria "Porcelain Crabs live together in pairs typically found within or under rocks in nature."

kind of feel bad for only having the one now. maybe he or she is lonely lol

Emerald crab will probably be ok. It is always a risk with crabs that they take a snap at a snail or shrimp. If a critter is weak or sick in your tank crabs usually see opportunity. Emeralds are usually ok though.

thanks for the advice.

i can usually find plenty of info online about fish behavior but not so much for inverts. i didn't know if i had to worry about the emerald crab getting along with the porcelains

if you mean getting an anemone, i've looked into them
but personally i don't know if i'm ready for one or not
my aquarium has only been set up for a year and in doing
research online i have read several things like
people who have had aquariums for a year, the anemone's life expectancy is only several months

Host Sea Anemone Survey Results

could be wrong though

there is another thread right now about an emerald eating the fins off of a coral beauty angel right now... be careful

I suggest getting a pom pom also known as a boxer crab. I have one and they are awesome looking.

Back
Top Bottom