Deeper Tanks and Live/Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickkyBobby

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65 gallons tank.. 36" x 18" x 24". So its a Little deeper and shorter in length than a 55,75 or 90....

So my question is.. When it comes to live rock/base rock, i know the rule is usually 1 to 2lbs per gallon.. But my tank is a little deeper and i was wondering if maybe just 1 lbs per gallon would do in a deeper tank because i dont have much room to go length wise and if i got 2 lbs i wouldn't have enough room for it...lol.. I just dont want to buy to much rock for no reason.. So if anyone has a tank similar to my size or just a deep tank, let me know your thoughts before i buy the rock

I put about 65 lbs of rock into my 57 gallon tank... 36lX18wX21h, and I would say I could get more in if I wanted it. You would probably be fine with 65-75 lbs. Here is a pic for reference, since our tank sizes are so similar:

19738-albums9044-picture37056.jpg

FYI, The Reef Rock Store has some good prices on some really nice base rock, if you are looking.

Thats perfect fort.. ty for the photo.. Exactly what i was looking for.. Now i have a better idea

hmm ok.. i guess ill go with 100 lbs.. ill throw some in my sump too

Thats funny.. Reef Rocks is where i was just looking into getting my base rocks from.. ..just starting checking it out last night. i was going to do all live rock but ive changed my mind. Im in no rush so the base rock will be fine..

Is that were u got yours fort? It looks like their rock.. They have 2 different kinds from what i can tell from there website.. i cant decide which one i want yet..

Nice looking tank BTw

Technically 1+lb per gallon isn't needed depending on your stock list. For example if you understock your tank with fish then you can understock your rock. Smaller Bioload means smaller biofilter but a good rule of thumb is a lb per gallon should be able to handle a reasonably stocked tank.

ok,, well then, ill get about 75 lbs then ( a little in the sump).. If i need more later on ill just get it then..

Now, this will be a new tank setup.. Should i just get a couple pieces of live rock to seed the base rock and maybe a little sand from an established tank, and just let it cycle?

This is pretty much the info ive found online so far about establishing the tank and curing the base rock.. Let me know if im wrong.. ty

You can cycle a tank from just base rock but it will take much longer and you'll miss out on many beneficial hitchhikers. The more live rock you use the shorter the cycle.

well, my initial plan was all LR.. I like all the good hitchhikers.. Its just all the bad things that can come along with it.. Im in no huge rush to get fish in the tank. I know it can take months to get the rock cured.. IM getting some LR , just dont know how much yet

Most people stick to about 10-25% to save on cost and pests

I used about 20% live rock with roughly 3-4 week cycle and plenty of hitchhikers which glad to say the only pest my tank has seen is a nudibranch that came on a zoa colony I bought.

Back
Top Bottom