Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely screwed... I think anyway.

Ok guys, well I think I'm screwed. Remember the Emp I ordered? Well it came today and it is amazing! So hardy looking, an excellent eater even during acclimation he was trying to snack on the box I was acclimating it in rofl. Gorgeous colored and just looks so beautiful. For anyone wondering if they should order from Saltwaterfish.com I say go for it, I want to wait a couple days and see how the Emp will do before I pass final judgement, but so far it's doing so great. I love my Emp so much!

Anyway on to the part about being screwed....
The Emp is even smaller then I expected it to be. I expected three inches and this little guy must not go over 2 inches. I honestly think my Sunset Wrasse will eat him, how could he not? He goes after my snails and live small feeders I feed him. I decided to skip the quarentine tank, so the Emp is living in the empty refugium compartment for now. I threw some live rock in there and he seems to be very happy.

So what are my options? Can I let the Emp live in my refugium until he grows up a bit bigger? Or is that a bad idea? He has about 10 gallons worth of swimming space. Otherwise I think my Wrasse is going to have a $100 lunch.

Here are pics just so you can see the size difference between these guys:
What do you guys say? Should I give it a try with the Wrasse or can I let the Emp live in the refugium for a while and get bigger?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	20068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	20069  

Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh man, I wish I could help but I dont know what to tell you. Good luck dude! I love the Emps though, I want one so bad but I need a bigger tank.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
That's a shame. Wish I knew what to say. I can say you have a beautiful fish though. Shame he might have to be hidden from the wrasse.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

stratmaster, Can you catch the wrasse. He would fair better in the Refugium. I would put him there and give the Emp. the DT and more room to grow faster and become the Boss of that tank.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a perfect excuse to set up another tank. If I were you, I'd let him stay in the refugium for a while. The fuge may be small, but it's a lot more enjoyable to take care of a cramped fish than an eaten fish.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Na the wrasse is to big for the refugium, not to mention I'd feel bad about taking him out and he's been whole cheese for three years. I'm just gonna let the emp live in the refugium for a while and get bigger, he seems pretty happy in there. When he gets big enough I'll move him up to the main tank. I put some LR in there for him to snack on and he's already being a great eater. I think I got a good one i just need a name now! I can't wait until he starts transforming.

Steve
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
name him pip squeak pip-squeak - definition of pip-squeak by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol na that would only work for a while because he's going to get big by other Emps I've seen!

Steve
Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say that you have a dilemma thats for sure. What i would do, i have no clue, but nice fish though.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Well, if you had qt'd the fish you could have also used that tank to grow the fish out along with any medicating. Would have solved both problems for the time being, even if the fish had to stay in holding for several months. Other than taking the wrasse out, you really don't have much of a choice and there probably will be some aggression so watch very carefully. If you can, you can halve the tank by creating an eggcrate barrier...if possible.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com