Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
whoa... thanks for the tips ^ .. learned so much... but as i said i already bought the crushed corals and i don't want to waste it.... tho i might get the sand later(sounds like a good price!)... also im rly in a budget so i cant buy much stuff so i'm looking for something just to get my aquarium started w/out fish... heres what i've got so far:

Aquarium & Stand
Fluval & other filters
Heater
and sadly the crushed coral

so what else do i need for NECESSITY?

i love this place!!.. its been very helpful!
I can tell you now if you use the crushed coral it will cause you more problems then you want down the road. And adding sand over CC does not work, the CC will work its way back up to the top. Take the CC back or use it in the garden for fill.

This is not a cheap hobby and to do things right it will cost some $$$.. Cutting corners will only cost you more money in the long run. take things slow and save money till you have enought to do it right from the start.
You need salt from a LFS and a refractometer or hydrometer and thermometer. High temps will kill off a tank just like cold water can.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

so what is the temp. for majority?... also i cant return the CC because i've already put it in the tank and got it wet. and yes i have time for it but not sure about $... it seems that everytime i go to my LFS he tries to sell me something and says i really need it. so i'm still taking my time to buy stuff and im trying to get it on craigslist used etc... so does anyone know another good site to buy stuff for cheap?.. thanks for all helps

Old 05-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most run tanks around 77-78. LFS like to cram stuff you don't need down your throut to make $$$. Here we have no motive other then to make things go easy for you and your live stock. Oh and we like to save MONEY

read, read and read some more about the hobby and you will learn that most LFS are full of crap. Ask here before you spend any money on major items. I know alot of guys in the hobby that have a basement full of old equipment. This is from LFS selling them things that they did not need or that was not right for their tank.
You will find out that there is no such thing a CHEAP in this hobby.... So if you want cheap look into a fresh water tank first and learn about keeping that tank stable and then try SW later.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol...im tired of FW tanks... i want to switch to SW now... and also.. i dont have to go that cheap.. but i guess ima buy it all slowly before i can put in the guys on it...

so is there anything else that hasn't been covered?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3epanda
lol...im tired of FW tanks... i want to switch to SW now... and also.. i dont have to go that cheap.. but i guess ima buy it all slowly before i can put in the guys on it...

so is there anything else that hasn't been covered?
Yes, Patience, Patience and oh yeah...... PATIENCE! Be very patient. I have seen many people lose interest in this hobby because they want to cram their tank full of fish live rock and coral without taking their time. Be patient! :LOL

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Even a 75 gallon tank can easily cost thousands of dollars to set up and run. $30-40 on a bag of crushed coral is pocket change in this hobby, to be honest. I totally understand you are trying to save money and not waste the crushed coral you bought - all of us want to save money but it's going to be MUCH more costly and time consuming in the long run if you use the crushed coral simply to save $30.

You might want to think twice before taking suggestions from your teacher regarding tank maintenance. You're going to have a hard time finding anyone in the hobby who says you won't have to do water changes. They should be done weekly and monthly at minimum. While monitoring pH is important, that is one factor in a lot of levels that need to be monitored. Altering pH isn't gong to change your ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, or other factors.

Fluorescent lights would be okay as long as you aren't going with corals. It doesn't have a high enough light output to provide corals with the lighting they need, and they would not survive in that environment. For a fish only though, it would be ample lighting. I started with fluorescent lighting too, but I upgraded to compact fluorescent in order to help bring out the colors in my fish.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find the answers you need.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

A saltwater tank will likely cost you 50$ per gallon in your first year of running it (if you don't make ANY mistakes along the way). That's $3,750 in your first year. If you don't have the resources to get through the first year, I'd have to suggest you rethink your decision to go salt.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com