Diamond Goby good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you think? would a dimond goby be good for my tank? i have a ligh substrate (.6-1mm diamiter sand) Do you like them? are they good to have in a tank? will they make my water cloudy all the time from sifting?

Loved mine. Fun to watch. Things to watch out for though:
Can undermine your rock structure. So be careful of rock placement and watch for any possible collapse.
They are jumpers. Make sure you have all your openings covered or they will jump out. Mine did and many others say the same thing.
IMO the little bit of substrate that floats around from their sifting is not a big deal. The way they keep the sand clean by far outweighs this.

Need an eshtablised tank or many small spot feedings daily. My tank was about 5 months old and mine still starved even with all the feedings. Great at sifting sand though that's all it did!

well my tank is ~8 months old but my sand bed is brand new because i was running a BB reef but turned it into a FOWLR so i added sand

Ya never know you could have good luck. I am just sharing my experience with others. Mine did eat prepared food but I could never fatten him up.

i think im just going to leave it to my dragon wrasse hes been stiring up the sand contently by waving his body on the sand bed making holes. fun to watch but its getting a bit messy...

I had one and the tank was cloudy for only like two days. They are really cool to watch working all day sifting sand- it will most definitely keep your sandbed clean!

The drawback is they will make big sand piles on or around rocks or dig right under them causing them to shift. Unfortunately mine jumped so I have to modify the hood before I consider another one but I really liked that fish.

I had one and the tank was cloudy for only like two days. They are really cool to watch working all day sifting sand- it will most definitely keep your sandbed clean!

The drawback is they will make big sand piles on or around rocks or dig right under them causing them to shift. Unfortunately mine jumped so I have to modify the hood before I consider another one but I really liked that fish.

yeah im skipping it in have decided and it will probably be an eel snack at some point anyways.

i always wanted one and still do but im gona go with a shrimp goby pair because i already have a shrimp

plus i dont want the sand sifting to mess with my shrimps burrows

i always wanted one and still do but im gona go with a shrimp goby pair because i already have a shrimp

plus i dont want the sand sifting to mess with my shrimps burrows

Haha they don't care about their burrows they love just digging and fixing them. Some sifting gobies will pair with pistols and then they won't sift anymore. I personally hate pistol shrimp after my last one because they just move so much sand and I'd only have them in a reef tank and mine always moved my corals and tried to use them as support for his openings in his dens. So annoying lol. But my wrasse is doing fine stiring the sand bed up a lot so I'm happy with that. I'd think my snowflake would make a meal out of it if I got one.

Back
Top Bottom