Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Diamond watchman Goby gone missing

I haven't seen my diamond watchman goby since I got him it's been 13 days since I placed him in my display tank I saw him swim to the Rock and haven't seen him since. He was drip acclimated I see some moved sand around the back of my tank within the first few days but I haven't seen any more signs of sand being moved around and haven't see him come out once. I've checked my carpet everyday and it has a tight top so he won't jump out. Is it possible he died under the substrate I haven't seen any signs of ammonia or anything. If he did die under the substrate would I see signs of ammonia or nitrites or not until he was dislodged from under the sand like would the sand keep it suppressed? Thanks for any help!

Old 09-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

I wouldn't bet on him being dead. Mine was missing for two weeks found him in the sump under the return pump. Went missing again a week later. I took everything out of the tank looking for him and couldn't find him so I bought a new one. Next day I found them both together under a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Gobies are funny critters. There isn't much way of telling if it is still going or not. It could have easily made a burrow in the back of the tank or even jumped out. I've had fish vanish that I thought dead and a month or two later them come out during feeding time.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #4

Yeah I haven't seem him EVER during feeding and havent seen a burrow anywhere although it could be towards the back of the tank but its a corner tank so its somewhat difficult to see back there. Isn't it odd I haven't seem him since he was acclimated to the tank, there is a tight lid and I havent seen him on the carpet anywhere around or behind the tank so I'm positive he hasn't jumped out. Is there anyway to know for sure without ripping apart my tank? Any way to lure him out maybe?
Old 09-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good luck. If it's alive it'll come out when it's ready. It probably burrowed and is hiding as it adjusts to the new surroundings.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby, missing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com