Diatoms..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
why do i have them?Yes, my tank is cycled, (although i noticed i never had a diatom bloom during the cycle....but then again my lights aren't so good). The diatoms and algae started the day i left the blinds open, could they have been growing since that day? and how can i get rid of them? i read that it doesn't affect the water but.....it doesnt look too pretty haha

True what they have said.
Diatoms are more or less the tel tel sign that your cycle is about finished,

It's about this time when I would add A clean up crew,

Woahhhhh a wave of answers hahah I thought my post was going ignored for a second! :p

I started a cleanup crew already:]

I have 7 blue legged crabs (but I mostly only find 5-6...I got them about a week ago)

And I have 2 nassarius snails (the lfs was short on snails at the time) but wow did they clean the rock haha I was getting really worried because my LR was really clean. Now it's covered in algea and for a second I was starting to think it was my water? I haven't used ro water yet so I use faucet water with a few drips of...ah what's it called...the liqud that takes the metal out of water and makes it tank safe?

Anyways I was confused because I never got algae during the cycle and I was using faucet water then too so maybe my water is fine? And will it go away on its own then? Because it really weirded me out and made me feel irresponsible haha I've had the diatoms on sand and algae on rock and little brown spots on my glass for a little over a week now. I've even siphoned some of the sand during my pwc the might before yesterday and last night the spots on the sand were appearing again

David S said:
the diatoms will go on their own,as for the algae what sort is it?

I'm not sure what they're called haha but I've been getting 3 colors. It started off with a little bit of purple, a little bit of green, and a whole lot of orange

Whoops correction, astrea snails not nassarius

Back
Top Bottom