Diatoms in 6 month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donniea1800

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I have gone through the initial diatom phase, followed by green algae, and then red cyano. They all cleared up and my tank was looking great! Now I have started getting brown diatoms and some cyano on my sand again. :banghead:. The only thing I have donw recently is added about a pound or 2 of new live sand and a couple pieces of live rock. I did add a new fish but would that throw my parameters off? Would the new sand and rock be causing this?

Ammonia-0.0
Nitrite-0.0
PH-8.2
Nitrate-0.0 - 0.1
Temp - 80 degrees
Salinity - 1.024

Thank you

yes. The new sand probably is a silica based sand, and the source of the food for the diatom bacteria. Should go away just like last time.
As for cyano, the die off from the live sand, more nutrients from more fish and the rocks can all be the source of nutrients feeding the cyano.

That is what I was thinking. i will continue my water changes and wait for it to go away. Thank you.

Also can you take a look at my stocking list and let me know what you think. Am I overstocked or am I right at my limit? I made a couple of impulse buys and I am afraid I am overstocked. I dont want the fish to suffer for my mistakes. Everybody currently gets along fine even the wrasse and blennies. I also have a couple cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, brittle start, and assorted snails and hermits. Thanks!

1-coral beauty
1-green coris wrasse
1-six line wrasse
1-ocellaris clownfish
1-pink spot goby
1-bi-color blenny
1-midas blenny

Back
Top Bottom