Difference in salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to be setting up a salt water tank soon and will be mixing my own salt water. I saw PetSmart has a version of salt that's a little less expensive than the instant ocean and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it

I dont know what brand that is, but imo paying a little extra for a quality, very popular brand is the better choice. If you're doing reef, reef crystals, red sea, kent marine, etc. make great salt w/ the essential elements for corals/inverts.

Yeah normally the better known salts are better. They tend to have more/better of the minerals added, that the tank/fish require.

What about instant ocean? I've heard that one is good? I'm not going to do reef.

I also use instant ocean and my tank is doing great with it. I would personally recommend it.

Now I have another question. Can I use distilled water like ozarka or other bottled waters? I'm worried about buying my water from my local stores and somehow getting hydroids.

I wouldn't use bottled water as its bottled from source there could be anything in it, and also if its in the store for a while sat in the sun it could also encourage Bactria growth. Some bottled water also have additives added to them ski would use RO water cause that's just h2o and that's all you want (salt also of course). ?

My ro/di is currently down until I move to a new house. Until then, I use distilled water from giant eagle or wal mart that comes in gallon jugs. Works great. What was said above was true, you want to avoid drinking waters since we add things into them that make us like how it tastes or benefits us in some way.

As far as salt mix they all have their pros and cons. There IMO is not a better than all salt mix. I use Oceanic but IO is a good brand also to use. As far as water I used distilled water for seven years. I now use a RO/DI unit. I`ve heard the RO water units at walmart provide decent water. It will be ok for a fish only tank.

melosu58 said:
As far as salt mix they all have their pros and cons. There IMO is not a better than all salt mix. I use Oceanic but IO is a good brand also to use. As far as water I used distilled water for seven years. I now use a RO/DI unit. I`ve heard the RO water units at walmart provide decent water. It will be ok for a fish only tank.

I wholeheartedly agree. Instant Ocean is a great choice. The store brand would probably be fine for a fish only tank but if the price is close then IO would be my first choice. I used normal IO for 4 reef tanks for over a decade. It's a very solid choice.

Also, the RO water refill stations from the grocery store or most pet shops will be fine for fish only tanks. Many people use only that water for their reef tanks, although the quality can be different from each place and can be different at times. Getting a cheap TDS meter will give you all the info you'll need when buying water from any shop. They run about $15 give or take.

Also, don't forget to get a hydrometer to check your salt level. A refractometer is great but may be overkill for a fish only tank (unless you're flush with cash).

Okay so for a fish only, I'll use instant ocean and distilled is fine? I wanna make sure everybody's gonna be fine!! Lol. I live in an apartment and can't buy an rodi unit which is why I was wondering about using distilled. I was told the hygrometer weren't accurate? If they are, id love to save the money! But if they aren't very accurate I'll look into the refractometers.

Okay so for a fish only, I'll use instant ocean and distilled is fine? I wanna make sure everybody's gonna be fine!! Lol. I live in an apartment and can't buy an rodi unit which is why I was wondering about using distilled. I was told the hygrometer weren't accurate? If they are, id love to save the money! But if they aren't very accurate I'll look into the refractometers.

Sounds good (y). Much better than tap. Hydrometers aren't completely accurate, but for a FOWLR it's fine.

obscurereef said:
Sounds good (y). Much better than tap. Hydrometers aren't completely accurate, but for a FOWLR it's fine.

100% agree. Fish are plenty adaptable to small salinity changes and don't require pin point accurate salt levels. I always used the glass type hydrometers personally. Just lookup how to properly use and maintain them. Piece of cake. It wouldn't hurt to put a bit of the savings into a saltwater aquarium book. They're very handy to have just to get the basics down and to understand a lot of the lingo and equipment people will mention online. The pictures can be a big help. Looking up everything online can certainly be a substitute but it can also be a bit more work. Using both together it just win win.

IO and distilled will be great.

I want to get one of the salt water books just haven't purchased it yet, going to half priced books when I get home from vacation! I'm also wanting to subscribe to tropical fish hobbyist magazine. I've seen some of them and I think they're awesome since I have fresh and soon to be salt tanks!

I want to get one of the salt water books just haven't purchased it yet, going to half priced books when I get home from vacation! I'm also wanting to subscribe to tropical fish hobbyist magazine. I've seen some of them and I think they're awesome since I have fresh and soon to be salt tanks!

Best reef book IMO is "the reef aquarium volume 3" by delbeek and sprung. Popular book and extremely helpful. Have something to say about every subject practically. Even some ishmprofiles in the back. Lots about plumbing, feeding, cycle, lighting..just huge. Wish I got it when I was just starting out, but even know I'm learning new things from it. Bit pricey, but well worth it.

Now I have another question. Can I use distilled water like ozarka or other bottled waters? I'm worried about buying my water from my local stores and somehow getting hydroids.
I don't think you have to worry about this. Hydroids aren't going to hurt anything in a fish only tank, and the odds of getting them from some premixed water from the LFS are basically impossible.

I don't think you have to worry about this. Hydroids aren't going to hurt anything in a fish only tank, and the odds of getting them from some premixed water from the LFS are basically impossible.

Well my concern is I would like to keep dwarf seahorses and they will be hurt from the hydroids because when feeding so many live brine shrimp, the hydroids go crazy. I just am just trying to make sure I avoid them at all costs.

Best reef book IMO is "the reef aquarium volume 3" by delbeek and sprung. Popular book and extremely helpful. Have something to say about every subject practically. Even some ishmprofiles in the back. Lots about plumbing, feeding, cycle, lighting..just huge. Wish I got it when I was just starting out, but even know I'm learning new things from it. Bit pricey, but well worth it.

I'll definitely look into that book. That sounds really good. Have you ever read or heard anything about the salt water for dummies book? Lol.

I'll definitely look into that book. That sounds really good. Have you ever read or heard anything about the salt water for dummies book? Lol.

Never read it, but probably has the basic concepts. I wish I could tell you more about it, but don't know much about it.

Back
Top Bottom