different clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a maroon and a tomato clown and they fight like cats and dogs. They have been together for eight yrs so they have not killed each other but they do chase each other.

I really like how the maroon clown looks it, from my reading its only aggressive particularly to other clowns right?

Would you recommend having it in a 75G with 3 ocellarius clowns?

When I went to the aquarium store they had one with like 5 other oscellarius clowns in a Reef tank.

I don't know if I would add it to a tank that already has 3 other clowns. The Maroon can get large and will most likely bully your other clowns.

Mike has a 6' 125g tank and they fight. I wouldn't want to find out how they act together in a 4' tank.

aww i guess its a no then :(

Just asking cuz the peteducation.com said if i introduced them at the same time i would be ok. It also said if they were tank raised it would be ok.

Tank raised clownfish are very hardy and durable fish making them a perfect addition for the novice or seasoned aquarist. If introduced to the aquarium at the same time, many varieties of tank raised clowns can be maintained together in the aquarium.

Glad i asked.

Thanks.

As the old adage goes, your mileage may vary. Weigh the risks, at least you will have made an educated decision. That's sometimes 90% of the battle .. squeezing that word 'educated' word in there.

There are people here who do it and have no problems (generally they have very large aquariums) and those who do it and have a lot of problems. The general guideline most people follow is to keep clownfish down to 1 pair of one species.

Thanks

so I guess Ill only get 2 osc. clowns and no other clowns.

I think that quote could've been worded better...

many varieties of tank raised clowns can be maintained together in the aquarium
I *think* what they meant was "some varieties of tank raised clowns..." From what I've seen/heard, I wouldn't normally consider a maroon one of those varieties.

Sometimes I think I have the two meanest species of clownfish there are. I know the maroon is pretty aggressive. Good luck on your tank.

Technically, Mel, you do. As other have stated, although mixing clownfish species is always a possibility, the probability that they will not coexist is far greater unless acquired as a group at a very young age.

dont be quick to judge the norm. yeah people say they will fight but right now i have a maroon and two black clowns in the same tank that is a 65 gallon and they both stay on their respected sides. they dont really cross each others paths and they have been living together for over two years. people in this hobby as so strict about bending "the rules" just try it and if it works out then you got what you wanted.

dont be quick to judge the norm. yeah people say they will fight but right now i have a maroon and two black clowns in the same tank that is a 65 gallon and they both stay on their respected sides. they dont really cross each others paths and they have been living together for over two years. people in this hobby as so strict about bending "the rules" just try it and if it works out then you got what you wanted.

Even though I do agree with you on this as we alot of times want to think that there is only one way to do things, the thought of having to take the tank apart to remove these fish is why I would not try it. Not downing what you are saying just saying be ready for the consequences if it dont work out.

i agree with melosu... ive been lucky enough that both black clowns stay in the LTA i have and the maroon stays in his separate anemone. how lucky are you haha?

I had a Ocellaris and a Maroon together afew yrs ago, and they were CONSTANTLY fighting..It was making me stressed watching them. The Maroon was always the instigator too... I would like to try 2 Ocellaris clowns together...thats ok right? I thought they might fight but havent tried it. Would 2 Maroons fight, or 2 tomoato clowns??? I guess mixing clowns is a NO NO...OR your very lucky if they stay away from eachother... :bowl:
My tank is 50gal. so they dont have alot of room to stay away from eachother like some 75gals!

Back
Top Bottom