Different colored Algae growths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting to see purple, reddish and lime green algae growths and wanted to know if these colors are indicative of a good thing?

Are they soft and easily wiped away? Are they hard like coraline? Color description is just not enough IMO. Could be cyano, could be coralline, or it could even be one of the many kinds of algae that you will see as your tank matures.

Are they soft and easily wiped away? Are they hard like coraline? Color description is just not enough IMO. Could be cyano, could be coralline, or it could even be one of the many kinds of algae that you will see as your tank matures.
It doesn't blow off, it's stuck on there pretty good and very difficult to wipe off. I'll try to get some pics of it later.

IME... to be expected in a new tank. Keep an eye out for the cyano, but less is more and most of the algaes will comsume what they do until it's gone and fade away. Think of it as the 2nd "cycle" for a SW tank. First, you get your nitrogen cycle sorted out so that you can stock. Then for a few months you get all the colors of the rainbow in algae form. ;)

If you try to troubleshoot and correct every single one, you'll go nuts. Best just to let them run their course IMHO.

IME... to be expected in a new tank. Keep an eye out for the cyano, but less is more and most of the algaes will comsume what they do until it's gone and fade away. Think of it as the 2nd "cycle" for a SW tank. First, you get your nitrogen cycle sorted out so that you can stock. Then for a few months you get all the colors of the rainbow in algae form. ;)

If you try to troubleshoot and correct every single one, you'll go nuts. Best just to let them run their course IMHO.
Sounds good to me brother.

Back
Top Bottom