Different type of clown together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antonio718

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can i put a mocha clown and a percula clown togther in my tank if introduced at the same time? I have a empty tank now and was thinkin about startingg with them, my cycle is complete

I've put different clowns together. I always made sure one was bigger than the other just as I would a mated pair. It worked out well. Just stay away from the tomato clowns. They are aggressive little boogers!

nikki_kaiser said:
I've put different clowns together. I always made sure one was bigger than the other just as I would a mated pair. It worked out well. Just stay away from the tomato clowns. They are aggressive little boogers!

Nicee, yeah i heard the tomato and the maroon too were aggressive, my lfs has the percula in one tank and the mocha in another tank, i like both of them and they r about the same size, so you think it would be ok? They will be my first fish in my 30 gallon with live rock tank

How big are they? One should be much smaller then the other. Clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning as they grown they become males, and then females. The larger fish is always the female and is the dominant member. If a female dies, the male can change to become a female, and a smaller male is found.

If they are the same size, they could both be male, or female and will fight. You can mix species but I wouldn't recommend it. It is such a hit or miss situation.
HTH.

Jimbo7 said:
How big are they? One should be much smaller then the other. Clownfish are sequential hermaphrodites, meaning as they grown they become males, and then females. The larger fish is always the female and is the dominant member. If a female dies, the male can change to become a female, and a smaller male is found.

If they are the same size, they could both be male, or female and will fight. You can mix species but I wouldn't recommend it. It is such a hit or miss situation.
HTH.

Both look like babies, id say no bigger then a inch maybe smaller

It could be that they are young enough they haven't reached sexual maturity, so they aren't anything right now. Its hard to say. If they are both that small, you might be able to do it. I would worry that they will fight early on for either dominance, or being separate breeds, and you may not know which they are doing till its too late. They also might not pair.

Lots of factors in this situation that make it hard to say. If you were going to do it, do it on a thursday-friday so you could observe them closely over the weekend and be ready to bring one back if need be.

To be on the safe side, I would go with one that is larger than the other. Juveniles aren't an issue it's when they become sexually mature that the fighting would begin if they did. You will stand a much higher success rate at keeping both alive and happy by doing this than going with two of similar size.

Back
Top Bottom