Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Disappearing Shrimp

I am losing my peppermint shrimps and both of my cleaner shrimps are gone. Is it my regal tang eating them. I can see it eating the peps but the cleaners were fairly large. I have 2 fire and a cbs that are fine, but I used to have at least 10 peps and now at feeding time I only see one or two.

The only other fish I have are
Tomato Clown
Maroon Clown
Watchman Goby
Cleaner Wrasse
Blue Green Chromis (x6)

The shrimp had been in the tank with all the fish but the tang until about 1 month ago.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am pretty sure the tang is not eating them. Shrimp are very sesitive to water quality issues. Have you tested lately? Done any water changes? If you happened to do a decent size water change and the water was not the same as the tank water, then they may have become stressed and died from that. Same as big temperature swings or ph changes. Fish are much hardier than inverts when it comes to those things so it would seem as if things were ok unless you had tested your water.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I test my water and it is always
nitrites 0
nitrates <5
amm 0
ph 8.2

I do water changes every two weeks (15 -20%) and I always test my water change water to verify that it is the same ph and temp and salinity.

Water stays consistent since I have almost 300 gallons of volume. Just weird since it seem like they started disappearing after adding the tang
Old 03-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe you have a hitchhiker like a crab or a mantis.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe but the shrimp have all been in there since October and just started to disappear. Strange.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just saw my sally lightfoot crab and it is getting very big. Could this be what is eating my shrimp? Only the larger shrimps have made it. Peps are gone, so are the cleaners. The cbs and fire shrimp are fine. Is it time to evict the crab and stick it in the sump?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Crabs are opportunists, they'll eat what they can catch. A friend of mine watched in horror as a sally grabbed his newly acclimated fish by the tail as the unsuspecting fish got too close.

Stuff happens.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess it is time to trap it and throw him in the sump or refugium. Or bring it back to the lfs. Will the crab eat snails? I have some snail eggs on my refugium glass right now and am hoping they hatch. If I put the crab ib the sump I think it may starve so I may have to do the refugium or lfs return.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know about the snails, but I wouldn't guarantee that it wouldn't, if it could.

I'm going to get one anyway to eat up some algae, then trade him in at the LFS for credit toward something else.

I feed my refugium in my sump, because I exiled some crabs and a big bristeworm there.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com