Distracting Bi Color Angel from nipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I have some small polyps which were growing terrific. I feel a bit like a parent to them because I 'raised' them from when they were so small you couldn't even see them.

Now, a newly added coral beauty has decided to nip at them. I'd like him to stop.

I am thinking I could possibly distract him with some seaweed on a vegi clip, but am not sure how successful this would be and if I left a bit of seaweed in the tank for say 8 hours, would it cause too much of a bio load or algae issue.

Any suggestions on the above or how to stop him from nipping would be great.

Thanks!

You can try keeping him well fed, but some will nip coral no matter what you do. You can leave some nori in there for him. It shouldn't present a problem as long as it either gets all eaten or you take it out before it starts to disintegrate. I've been lucky with my coral beauty. Had it for about 5 yrs and it hasn't touched any of my corals. It's just hit amt miss. Some will nip and some won't.

I too have been lucky with my coral beauty so far. I feed nori all the time for my tangs and foxface and the cb also gets his share.

I have heard that it is very hit or miss. Some will nip some won't and some that don't just seem to start one day. I've got my fingers crossed that mine doesn't develop that taste.

Sorry, it's not a coral beauty, it's a bi-colour angel.

IMO the only thing you can do is remove the bicolor angel. You will never be able to change what nature has established in him. I had two drawf angels that were good for 4 yrs and then they just did what comes natural to them and that`s nip and munch on corals. I had to trade them in and make the "No angels pledge". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I wish there was another fish I could add which my tang and damsel wouldn't attack.

I have had success weening Chaetodons, Centropyge's, Poma/Holacanthus, etc. from feeding upon corals when stocking levels are slightly raised, which keeps animals always on the offensive or defensive, and feeding a bit more often (not necessarily feeding more, just more often); although, animals I am worried about I'll usually quarantine over a 2 month period so all they "want" is prepared foods. Works for me, good luck :)

You could try to build an eggcrate container, but I tend to agree, nature is taking it's course.

Back
Top Bottom