DIY live rock supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onigen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this website and new to this hobby. I am researching what I should do to my 32 gallan tank. I read that I will need some live rocks to maintain the fish tank. I also research that I can do my own live rock.

I am having some difficulty finding the oyster shell and not sure what I should do. Does any one know where I can get oyster shells in Nj, Bergen county? Or if you have spare part, would you mind giving them to me?

I am starting my tank soon and I guess live rock and sea salt would be the first thing I need to start this hobby. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks everyone

Tommy

Well first off, you probably don't want to use oyster shells. There are many places to order dry rock from. Bulk reef supply, reefrocks.net, just to name a few. Your LFS should have dry rock fairly cheap. About 1 lbs per gallon is normal. As for salt. You can get that online or at most pet stores. Petco has cheap salt. Most LFS offer premixed water if you prefer that. I prefer my ro/di. Water maker and mix my own water.

Thanks dmann for the reply. If I buy the dry rock, will they become live if I put them in the water? How do I make them live from dry?

Doi need live rock for my fowler tank? Maybe I should just have some fish and live sand instead?

Sorry for all the questions.

You're going to need somewhere for your fish to hide and feel at home. Might as well have live rock. It is a beneficial part of the filtration of an aquarium. When you set up your tank and get the water up to tell and salinity. Then you can add the rock. All the rock will become live over time. Just go to the LFS and get a piece of love rock to seed the dry rock.

Back
Top Bottom