Do anemones shrivel up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just came home from work and it was like all sucked up into its base. A few tenticles were sticking out and they looked all shriveled up. Is it ok?

They do shrivel from time to time esp. if they are moving. What are your water params, Tank size and lighting. Need to find out if there is a reason.

With out pics it is hard to say 100% however this is normal and aslong as it doesnt stay that way for more than a day or 2 it should be fine .
DO anser mels questions but also how old is your tank :?

ph- 8.2
nh3- 0
nitrite-0
nitrate- 20-30! - that could be the problem but idk why it would be that high?

My tank is about 3 years established. 45 gallon with crap lighting. Been looking to upgrade real soon its just got a 24" blue actinic 20w marine glo. I want to get a retrofit t-5 that will go in my canopy.

my anemone is already looking better and coming out though. ill post up a pic in a second.

It looks bleached , not happy and dying ,how long have you had it ? . Are you feeding it ? IF not start feeding small pieces of silver slide or mysis 2-3xs a week.
Your lighting is NOT nearly enough for an anenome let alone some shrooms it would be fine for FOWLR As for the NitrAtes set up to do a largish PWC of about 50% , after that continue to do regular H20 changes of 10%- 20% weekly , this removes the build up of any kind of wastes and replaces trace elements ...

My RBTA shrivels up now and again, then will come back out when it feels like it. Seems to be a normal thing....Although, you definitely need more lighting...waaayyy more lighting!!!

Shriveling up is normal, but white tentacles aren't normal from my limited experience. I misread the wattage of the light the first time I saw this thread. Yeah... waaaay more lighting is an understatement!

yes i have been feeding it. and my water change will be done tomorrow. I actually bought it looking white. I figured it was supposed to look like that. I have had it maybe 5 days now.

Back
Top Bottom