Do Damselfish Camouflange?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Yellowtail Dasmselfish is amazing :)

I noticed that when I first got it, if it got stressed it would turn a pale blue. I knew this would happen because the LFS told me it would. But it soon got used to us peeking in and watching it so the pale blue stopped after a few times.

But now lately I've noticed it turning coal black (except for it's yellowtail) when swimming around the tank. It looks like when it gets near the black filter I have in the tank, it turns black. It doesn't do this all the time but it does happen often. It goes from jet black to blue, then onto a more vibrant beautiful, almost glowing blue, and then back to it's normal blue.

I thought at first it was the light but it will actually go through all of the colors and have only moved a couple of inches and then do the same thing when moving clear across the tank. So I'm pretty sure it's not the light.

I've searched this forum, googled the web and still have not found anyone talking about their damsel changing colors like this. Not that I'm complaining because I think it's beautiful to watch, but I was just wondering if it's a camouflange thing that damsels can do?

Yup, damsels are aquarium Ninjas! :ninja:
All kidding aside, it is normal for them to change colors like that.

Back
Top Bottom