Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will a 20 gal sump service a 75 gal tank? Just curious since we are talking filtration. Also if a Aquaripure denitrifier is used do you need a skimmer and bio media? They make some large claims about this denitrifier.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #22

Yes, you would still need a skimmer and live rock (live serves for all types of biomedia). A denitrator does only that, allows for denitrifying bacteria to remove nitrate if the live rock isn't enough. The live rock was enough in my tank, but that can depend on how much rock you have and your bioload (weight of fish plus food).

Any sump is better than no sump. I recommend getting the biggest tank you can that will fit in the sump. For a 75 this is usually a 30long.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you have enough room underneath for a 20L tank? then you can have skimmer section, a large refugium and then a decent sized return pump area.

You also can just do the skimmer with filter socks for mechanical filtration and leave the refugium option open.

I have no idea about the denitrifiors...just what i read and there's no one I have heard mention that uses it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the 29 tank set up and running now. If I go to a 75 down the road I would think I can use it as a sump tank. Yes? Would the change over be a problem while the 75 cycles. How would you go about that?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You know what? You guys talked me into it. I figure that I will just suck it up and do the extra work and put in a sump/refugium, because I asked myself and I will not be able to resist not wanting corals eventually! Lol the thing is... Is that the idea of installing a sump and refugium intimidates the **** out of me :/ I am aware that Aqueon makes a prebuilt sump/refugium model and I would like to go this route as I am more comfortable buying a pre made model rather then building one myself. So. Scrap the idea of using the canister filter? Or use both? Any advice here on how to get started, do's/don'ts would be very much appreciated as a sump/refugium is completely new ground for me
Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was a total wreck when I set up my first sump. You shoulda read the thread as it was going on, the 125g AND the whole sump idea was way too intense for me. BUT believe it or not it wasn't that hard with the help from the people on this forum.

There's a few tricks here and there and it will all come together. Now mind you, I'm not a very "handy" or DIY kinda gal but I did it and it works and I've never had a failure yet.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #27

I can only imagine lol so the refugium/sump is a definite buy for me, along with a protein skimmer. Which I will do more research on and find out which one would be the best for me to use. As far as return pumps go, how are they installed? I've skimming here and there and I've read that some people have to drill holes for them or something like that? Which is a real turn off for me.. Especially since my aquarium is glass.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #28

Reefkeeping.org has some good articles on sump design.

The book 'Reef Invertebrates' by Calfo and Fenner is great. It has whole chapters on live sand, live rock, rerugiums, etc. It is one of few books that even in the age of the internet is worth buying. They had to go independent publishing since apparently at least one of them has a huge issue with aquacultured rock (almost a rant in the book), but overall invaluable info.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I highly recommend 'Reef Invertebrates' along with Fishguy. Bob Fenner answers questions on WWM as well and has proven himself a wealth of information, very reliable guy.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #30

Alright, I will definitely have to check that out thank you. What are some good corals to start out with for beginners? I plan on getting a pair of clowns so if their is a hardy anemone out their I'm all ears

Tags
refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com