Do I HAVE to have a sump/refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no, I have just one return pump. :) I have the aqualifter on the overflow so that the continous siphon overflow I bought works.

I also think a dual return pump setup has too many what if's plus I wanted to keep it really really simple. lol

So you use the aqualifter's vacuum to remove the air in the siphon should the siphon break? Sounds like that would work.

I went cheap and got a rio hyperflow that does 1500 gph but they make others as well. The mag drives come highly recommended but I didn't have the cash. LOL

Aquarium Water Circulation and Water Pumps: Taam Rio® HyperFlow

Any reason you couldn't use a pond pump from HD or Lowes? I have an extra from when I upgraded to a larger pump for my pond. It would be overkill but with a ball valve I could neck it down.

By the way. I hope you don't mind my butting in on this thread GreenMonster. Say the word and I will follow along "silently". :)

It's come up before in threads about using pond pumps but it's always been discouraged. Not sure if it just can't handle the flow or if it's because it's not made for saltwater and they give out too soon. But I know alot of people came up with reasons NOT to use one. :-(

It's come up before in threads about using pond pumps but it's always been discouraged. Not sure if it just can't handle the flow or if it's because it's not made for saltwater and they give out too soon. But I know alot of people came up with reasons NOT to use one. :-(

LOL Lots of people just repeat what someone else has said. LOL I am very guilty of that myself. However, I try to understand what they are saying and evaluate it before I regurgitate it. :D Now, having said that, your comment about not holding up to salt water is a very good one that I hadn't considered. :facepalm: Going to have to look into it a little more but, when I have taken the pond pumps apart to clean them it seams everything is plastic if I remember right. Might be a screw or two but I bet they are stainless steel which should stand up to SW (doing an etching plant right now that uses a salt based solution. We are using all stainless steel for that very reason).

Does anyone know of a site or article that I could go to that will show and teach
me how to install a sump pump and return lines and everything?

For the most part protein skimmers are usually located within the first chamber, but I see that some are located in the second and sometimes third chambers... Is their a benefit to doing this?

It depends on the sump "style". if you go refugium it's best to have it before that section so you don't skim out your pods that will grow in there.

A berlin style I believe is just a first chamber input, middle chamber holds the skimmer and the 3rd chamber has the return pump.

Here's another link that might help

Berlin method of filtration

Refugiums,fuges or refuge

I wanted a refugium to grow out pods so thats the way I went. On my upcoming 90g I will be using a wet/dry sump with skimmer in the first section as I will be doing a fish only tank.

I wish I could be more specific and give you better links but it's what I got. :)

If you have a specific question just ask away. I've gotten pretty good with sumps and there so many people here who are really really good. :)

Thanks for all of the help! :) lol but I know that you can put the heater in the sump which is what I would like to do. I have a 40g tank that I'm going to make a sump/refugium and I was wondering where is the best place to put the heater for a 75g tank? Does it matter which stage I put it in? Or just anywhere where it will fit?

Back
Top Bottom