Do saltwater fish have more personality than fresh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37g freshwater aquarium and im planning on a 110g salt water reef and i was really excited about my fresh and still am but i have to say im a little dissapointed at how little personality my fish have, do sw fish have more-ps- my future fish are 2 occellaris clowns,1 blue hippo tang,a bi-colored blenny,a cleaner shrimp+peppermint shrimp along with other cuc's,and most importantly a cortez stingray(I have done many months of research so no criticism please)i just wanna know if sw fish have more personality and specificly if my future fish tend to have big personality???

I think it's all opinion. I have seen some oscars that have more personality than a tang. But IMO I prefer the fresh for personality and salt for behavior and color

It depends on the fish... some fish learn to eat from your hand, I have heard of clowns rubbing up against the owners hand, cleaner shrimp "cleaning" hands when they are in the tank. Really it has a lot to do with how much time you spend at the tank/how much time your hands are in the tank. Over all the fish with the most personality would have to be puffers either fresh or salt. That's not to say that there isn't the odd fish that would have more personality then a puffer, just that puffers are more prone to it... I think it's because they "live" for food... I don't think any other fish likes to eat more then a puffer.

It's not a Freshwater to Saltwater think when it comes to personality, it's a fish to fish thing. That's like saying men have more personality that women.

I have to say my clown fish have great personalities along with my yellow prawn gobie. He's got short mans syndrome, he acts like he's the biggest fish in the tank. But I would have to say it is more of a fish question not a fresh or salt question. I'm sure if I had a freshwater tank and I tried like I do with my saltwater tank buddies I could get them to interact like I do with the fish I have now.

I had a 65g freshwater for 5 years with many different American cichlids in and I had a brilliant flowerhorn cichlid (female) she would eat out of my hand let me catch her by hand when she was unwell, then she spawn and she was so territorial but she would let me lift the top of there cave to have a look at the fry.

I now have a 65g saltwater and my cleaner shrimps and peppermint shrimps all are hand fed and they clean my hands and arms it's quite ticklish :) ( my fire shrimp just hides :( ) and I have 6 black and White clowns and they all have there own personality

So I have to agree I think it's just a fish thing not a saltwater thing but in my opinion saltwater is more exciting :)

Attachments

• image-2300281547.jpg
    image-2300281547.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom