Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
O I finished my cycle yesterday,
Ammo:0 trites:0 trates:20-40... Did a pwc today and tested again and the trates lowered to 10. I went to my LFS and got a scissor tail dart fish.. I properly acclimated him by floating the bag for 20 minutes then put him in a bucket with a syphon at 30 minutes with 2-4 drops per second. After that I netted him out and put him in the tank! He was swimming around seeming all happy and got his color back that he lost from the trip home.. I left for 3 hours and came back and he is now hangin out between the heater and the glass.. Temp is 76 degrees F, ammo 0, trites .25 (idk where that came from), trates 10-20, and ph at 8.0. I have some API buffer max to raise the ph to 8.2-8.4... Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???

O I finished my cycle yesterday,
Ammo:0 trites:0 trates:20-40... Did a pwc today and tested again and the trates lowered to 10. I went to my LFS and got a scissor tail dart fish.. I properly acclimated him by floating the bag for 20 minutes then put him in a bucket with a syphon at 30 minutes with 2-4 drops per second. After that I netted him out and put him in the tank! He was swimming around seeming all happy and got his color back that he lost from the trip home.. I left for 3 hours and came back and he is now hangin out between the heater and the glass.. Temp is 76 degrees F, ammo 0, trites .25 (idk where that came from), trates 10-20, and ph at 8.0. I have some API buffer max to raise the ph to 8.2-8.4... Do scissor tails usually hide when introduced to a new tank???
Most fish hide when they are first introduced.Here is some quick stats on Liveaquaria:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scissortail Dartfish
The trites may have shot up due to the addition of the fish.I would do another pwc.Good luck!

just think of it like working out to build muscle. you cant go to the gym on day one and lift your max weight.. you need to start with lighter weights and build up to your potential.

no worries about the fish. i don't know a fish that's willing to come out when freshly introduced to your tank. it's like would you go to a foreign country on the first day and speak the native tongue? it takes you months and years to master the local language correct? it's like that for fish as well; takes days if not weeks for them to call the new tank home

Most fish hide when they are first introduced.Here is some quick stats on Liveaquaria: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scissortail Dartfish The trites may have shot up due to the addition of the fish.I would do another pwc.Good luck!
just think of it like working out to build muscle. you cant go to the gym on day one and lift your max weight.. you need to start with lighter weights and build up to your potential.
no worries about the fish. i don't know a fish that's willing to come out when freshly introduced to your tank. it's like would you go to a foreign country on the first day and speak the native tongue? it takes you months and years to master the local language correct? it's like that for fish as well; takes days if not weeks for them to call the new tank home
. Awesome! Thank you guys! This morning he's out swimming around but still shy! I guess I was just over worried since this is my first saltwater tank! Thanks again!!

. Awesome! Thank you guys! This morning he's out swimming around but still shy! I guess I was just over worried since this is my first saltwater tank! Thanks again!!
Glad I could help. Good luck! What size tank do you have? What other fish will you be stocking your tank with?

Glad I could help. Good luck! What size tank do you have? What other fish will you be stocking your tank with?
Thank you!

55 gallons!

2 Clownfish
Six line wrasse
Lawnmower blenny
Clown goby-citrinis
Zebra barred dartfish

One more question, during the end I my cycle this brown coat formed over my sand.. I'm assuming that algae of some sort?? I have algae on my live rock and I was told that was fine. What could this brown stuff be? I posted photos on my profile if you need to see them!

I am still pretty new to the hobby myself.Not really sure what it is...my suggestion is create a thread in getting started and check out the articles on the site.

Brown stuff is diatoms. Very common at the end of a cycle. It feeds off of the silicates in the sand and dies off after. Usually lasts a few weeks.

I'm assuming it's normal that the brown stuff gets darker?? I have photos posted on my profile of my tank... Also do diatoms get on the glass??

Yes and yes. Mine began as a light smattering of dust looking cover. It is now very dark, covers my sand, rocks and now creeping on the glass. I am going to get some snails tonight .... time to introduce a good portion of my CuC :)

Yes and yes. Mine began as a light smattering of dust looking cover. It is now very dark, covers my sand, rocks and now creeping on the glass. I am going to get some snails tonight .... time to introduce a good portion of my CuC :)
do the diatoms go away on their own??

Back
Top Bottom